banner

Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian Is Going Away

(48 posts)
  1. sakoguy

sakoguy

Login to Send PM

Wanted to give you guys a heads up Sutliff has announced on their Facebook page that Mac Baren's Syrian Latakia has run out and the last shipments have been sent out to retailers. So stock up now if you like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. morgansteele

morgansteele

Login to Send PM

Someone posted this news earlier today but the thread disappeared.

But, all may not be lost. Here's a note I see on the Danish Pipe Shop thread for HH Vintage Syrian:

Sold out. Will be back as Vintage Latakia.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure about other places, but JR has 56 3.5 ounce tins in stock at 9:21 PM EDT 4/16. I got a pound bag from them several weeks back, they are out of this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aaak! I do like it! 16oz on the way... thanks for the heads up!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren announced this back in November when the packed and shipped their last tin.

They are replacing it with HH Vintage Latakia, made with Cyprian Latakia. Apparently they had to alter the amounts a lot, because Cyprian is a lot stronger than Syrian.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

I'm just not sure about this blend so far. I liked 3 Oaks Syrian so much, and maybe expected this to be in that wheelhouse but to me it's totally different. If nothing else, the stack of tins and 1lb bag should make good trading fodder in a few months.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

spugni

Login to Send PM

Smokingpipes.com still has tins and 1 pound bags available.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

Can admin please tell me why my posts are being deleted?

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm surprised their supply lasted this long as it's been known for a while that all the Syrian Latakia was gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm surprised their supply lasted this long as it's been known for a while that all the Syrian Latakia was gone.
    Well, now that it's in it's final death throes and the word is out all over social media, it will likely be gone before this time tomorrow and we'll see it popping up on Ebay for 150 dollars a tin. I just put in a pretty decent order of it, myself. Not as much as I would have liked, but had to make sure I have a decent amount on hand before it goes the way of the dodo.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

16oz. For me too. I've got a tin that I've never opened. Question for the experts. Do I leave tobacco in the bag to age or go ahead and throw it in jars?

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. bigjoe

bigjoe

Login to Send PM

Added a tin to an order a couple of months back, gave it a try after seeing the other thread. Damn that's smooth. Ordered more!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I immediately took mine out of the bag to jar. I filled a large for aging and a small jar for smoking out of.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another year or so, and half the blends in my 'cellar' will be discontinued. I tend to buy blends that promise to be available. Ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. craig61a

craig61a

Login to Send PM

There was some discussion of this about a month ago... No telling how big the Mac Baren stash of Syrian leaf is. Not the same Syrian leaf that was burned up in a warehouse fire some years ago. There were outages at some of the vendors about a month ago, but most show stock as of now. So I don't know how much truth there is to this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This blend has retired more that Ozzy in my 10 months on the forum.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was some discussion of this about a month ago... No telling how big the Mac Baren stash of Syrian leaf is. Not the same Syrian leaf that was burned up in a warehouse fire some years ago. There were outages at some of the vendors about a month ago, but most show stock as of now. So I don't know how much truth there is to this.

It's hard to refute when the guy that runs Mac Baren puts a video of the last tins being made.

Link to Per Jensen's InstaGram video

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

His video shows the last of the Vintage Syrian for Germany. I'm sure the rest of the world is next but right now Smoking Pipes is showing over 800 tins of the 50 and 100 g tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. sakoguy

sakoguy

Login to Send PM

The information is from the Sutliff Facebook page so it should be reliable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

His video shows the last of the Vintage Syrian for Germany. I'm sure the rest of the world is next but right now Smoking Pipes is showing over 800 tins of the 50 and 100 g tins.

If you read what he says, he's taking the last 2 tins made to Germany with him.

Read what it says in the notes

Mac Baren's Syrian is gone. The tins at distributors and retailers is the last.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

Cleopatra wasn't the only queen of denial.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

This is a stellar blend with the DFK and Syrian combo. I'm sad to see it go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. exbenedict

exbenedict

Login to Send PM

I may have gotten drunk and ordered 4 pounds.....my wife won’t be happy.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you read what he says, he's taking the last 2 tins made to Germany with him.

I did... and he specifically says "for Germany". If you watch the video he signs to 2 tins. He's taking that batch to Germany and will give someone 2 of the tins he signed. No doubt they are about to run out but that video is specific for the German run of tins.

He said...

"The last of HH Vintage Syrian for Germany

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Whatever you believe, Mac Baren predicted that they would be running out, completely and utterly, right about now. They kept the product going by finding some more high quality Syrian, but the inevitable is going to happen. So buy it or don't. But Syrian Latakia is, for now, going the way of the dodo. In a couple of years you can buy it for 5 times the price on eBay.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Passing for now, and later, on this one. Not a fan and have none, but fortunately there are like 3600 units still available at SP alone for people who have not tried it at all, or perhaps haven't tried it since they apparently went to Syrian made up of the different batches of Syrian, which apparently changed the flavor. To anyone who has not tried it, I would recommend to try this one before you buy, and know that I think it's not a really great representation of Syrian flavor anyway. Probably the worst of all that I have tried, actually. But if people like it for what it is, that is fine and they should buy more if they want it. People might eventually start running to the retailers on this, but it's been out there that this day was coming for a while now, and people have been stocking up for a long time now, especially after it went bye-bye the first time for a little while. I'll guess it will be around for at least two or three more months before people start having trouble finding it online. But I am probably wrong at least 67% of the time, if I had to guess! =)

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This stuff sucks, don't waste your money. That's my first impression and final review. Move along and buy something else.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

This stuff sucks, don't waste your money. That's my first impression and final review. Move along and buy something else.

Is that one of those "it leaves more for me if no one buys it" comments, or a genuine opinion? I've hardly heard anyone criticize this blend, but I was pretty underwhelmed after all the accolades.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was pretty underwhelmed after all the accolades.

I enjoy it, but it's far from my favorite. I think I might like HH Vintage Latakia more, with Cyprian. I'm one of those weird people that likes Cyprian more than Sirian. My favorite Mac Baren latakia blend is The Solent Mixture.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with Balkisobrains.

The earlier vintages of MacBaren Vintage Syrian was much better imho. Even the so called Syrian leaf used in Ashton Artisans blend and Brebbia Balkan just doesn't taste as good, according to my palate.

Imho, nothing compares to the quality of the Syrian leaf used in the McC and the earlier GLP mixtures.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought the MacBaren Solent mixture still used Syrian as well?

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

According to the label, it does. I'm hoping that they will blend that with Cyprian too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

That is what MB indicates on their tin description. So it is Syrian. The question is: for how long? As MB has started to release the Vintage Syrian replacement, HH Vintage Latakia, I would assume the recently tinned Solent Mixture are made with Cyprian.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is HH Vintage Latakia out yet? Anyone tried it?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

Is HH Vintage Latakia out yet? Anyone tried it?

I haven't tried the Vintage Latakia, but I have tried the latakia flake, It's now on my desert island tobacco short list.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I thought the Solent mixture is made of people!

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ sablebrush, will be interesting to see how many people get that. I like when he shakes the watch...lol...definitely not quartz lol...

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought the Solent mixture is made of people!

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

That's what I think of every time I see a tin!

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This has been on the horizon for years. I discussed it with Per Jeppsen (sp?) at Chicago in 2015. Solent and Plumcake also have Syrian latakia, as did the long discontinued Latakia blend, although that was just a smidgen. My stash is adequate for my needs.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  41. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a pound bag a few years back from Iwan Ries... still haven't made a dent in it.

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

leonardbill1

Login to Send PM

I have 1997 McClelland Christmas Cheer to trade for pre-2014 HH VS. If interested PM me. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

Bill, PM sent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

if my memory serves me correctly The Mc B Solent was pretty horrible tasting ,to each to his own though,,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

bootygrocery

Login to Send PM

I enjoy it, but it's far from my favorite. I think I might like HH Vintage Latakia more, with Cyprian. I'm one of those weird people that likes Cyprian more than Sirian. My favorite Mac Baren latakia blend is The Solent Mixture.

Cyprian Latakia is a bit too much for me. I find that it overpowers almost every blend I had the pleasure of smoking. It is nauseating when all I taste is the cyprian latakia punch from inhale to exhale to even my black coffee.

I love the HH Vintage Syrian. I can taste the latakia without the nauseating smell and taste lingering I feel from the Cyprian. The Vintage syrian is definitely a lighter-nic blend , but the taste and ease of smoking makes it a true all-day for me. They really did this blend right!

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

I love HH Vintage Syrian. This is one of my top blends of all time. It's such a shame it's going away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

grimpuffer

Login to Send PM

Was never really a fan of the stuff.

May pick up a few tins for use in trading at a later date but I will not miss the stuff.

Does suck for those who do enjoy it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will truly miss it when it's gone, stocked up a bunch, so I should be covered.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   chasingembers, ashdigger, ben88, sholto, josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy