PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
So, my first tobacco review here. Still working on my style, but here you go.
It is pretty robust. Mac Baren has the strength at a 3 on their scale, but I would put it at a solid 4 or close 5. There is a very earthy flavor that stays consistent throughout the bowl. It does need a bit a drying of time, but not too much and burns very well to a fine ash. Very smooth overall, I did not get any bite from it regardless of how hard I puffed, but if you did not let it dry for a bit, it would probably bite you.
The tin presentation is interesting. The thin flakes are about 2.5" long and maybe an inch wide. They are stacked in three rows across, inside a nice gold foil wrapper. The flakes are dark brown with lighter brown streaks running down the flake. They rub out easily so you can prepare it however you like. I prefer a nice shag, so rub them out that way. I did fold up a flake and stuffed it into my Peterson and it smoked well with that method.
It looks like it should age well, which is nice. Overall, I am happy with Old Dark Fired and glad I ordered it. I did not find the flavor very complex, just a solid earthy smoke with maybe some hints of chocolate. No Lakeland essence that others have mentioned. Old Dark Fired did not ghost the pipes it was smoked in. All in all a good solid smoke.
Mike

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
I think it is smoother than Orlicks and Heinrichs blends, and that was coming out of a fresh tin. I can't imagine the tobakky goodness that going to come with a year or two of aging. I also noticed that this doesnt burn as "hot" as most McB blends.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Its also a lot earthier in taste than Orlick and Heinrich. I agree with beewrangler, it is a lot smoother.
I think it will age nicely, so I picked up 20 tins from a couple different places. Have two tins in the jar for smoking and the rest patiently aging away.
Wait, I just realized, I have not smoked the Heinrichs, so not sure about that one. If anyone wants to trade a tin of Old Dark Fired for a tin of Heinrich's, let me know.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mr English, I have an open tin of the Heinrich's. If you want try it, we can do a trade and I can see if I like the Mac Baren. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Smooth is right! I love this stuff. When I saw cortez's post this morning I moseyed over to SP and put 10 tins on order for the cellar. I can't fathom how time could make this flake any better but I'm willing to experiment and find out. :puffpipe:
Nice review mrenglish. It's always interesting to hear what other's impressions are. This morning smoking very slow I noticed a spicyness that I hadn't noticed before. kind of like perique but not pepper. Can't put my finger on it It. Seemed to disappear about mid bowl. In any case what a satisfying smoke.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Thanks for the review mrenglish. I got my Email from smokingpipes.com when it came back in stock

and ordered 5 tins. Should be here soon......

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I just tried this for the first time. Nice review.

It burned well in spite of the careless fold and stuff packing method I used.

I would only add that it has much more nicotine than what I am accustomed to. I am still regaining my equilibrium.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks to Mr English I have now smoked this twice now. It is earthier and fuller than the Heinrichs and not as sweet. I love the nicotine in this one and have smoked it after dinner both times, very satisfying. I will be ordering some tins of this, thanks for a great review and for turning me on to this one Mr English.

kalc

Might Stick Around
Sep 7, 2012
Smoking my first bowl - absolutely loving it - the earthiness and a sweetness which is rich, lovely :)

If u like a strong, full flavour vabur, i say go for it. And no tongue bite for me till now - halfway down the bowl :puffy:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This is what surprises me about the HH series. Mac Baren regular blends (except for Navy Flake) all bite me but none of the HH do. I am very curious as to why that is.

bassem

Might Stick Around
Nov 20, 2009
Just received a tin. I would like to age it for some time before indulging in a bowl though I am tempted to open the tin. Let's see how strong of a willpower I have

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I am tempted to open the tin. Let's see how strong of a willpower I have.

If you really want to test your willpower, open it and see if you can save the last flake.
If you like a rich flavor, this is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.