PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I am giving this one good marks.....

The Kick is good, just when a person need such things..... it has some strength but not over the top, but there nontheless

Its provides True tobacco flavour, whatever that might be, but its there as well

There are subtleties that exist, so its not one dimensional. a real plus......

Its advised
SC

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
It was my understanding, that the HH blends always were meant to be a kind of limited edition, as the tobaccos used are from purchases decades ago, and when they're gone, the blend is gone, too. If a particular HH blends strikes your fancy, you should cellar a life time supply.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
All the online retailers I checked are still showing stock, though, so it's not like it's suddenly disappeared.
Peter70 wrote: "If a particular HH blend strikes your fancy, you should cellar a life time supply."
I'd remove the "HH" qualifier from that sentence and apply its advice to every tobacco blend. There are no guarantees that any blend is still going to be in production down the road.
Bob

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Damn. I have a two year old tin of this stuff that needs sampling. Guess I better get on it!

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I will pick one of these up! Just tried the mature Virginia and love it! Will be buying multiple lb bags of it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I bought some aged VA #1 at a local pipe show last year. Bit very hard from the start. Sold it for a loss.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I never heard anything about discontinuing Ole Swampy. I had this years ago in a fancy rectangular box. I don't think it was the same as now. I like it better now. Maybe it'll change again like rollcake. I hope not. I can't imagine an improvement.

tank

Lurker
Dec 1, 2010
If they have discontinued this, I'm going to be highly irritated. I have been searching for a main stream tobacco for years now and just when I thought I had found it, it gets discontinued...

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
The tin odor is heaven enough. Reminds me of the socks I used to dry muskrats with. Maybe that inexpensive single malt from Skye.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
There is no inexpensive single malt from Skye. Talisker advertises that it is the only scotch whiskey produced on the Isle of Skye, and it isn't cheap. It sure is delicious, though.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
There was. It was extremely peaty. I knew a store that had a host of cheap singles. I'm talking $20 for a fifth. Most people wouldn't have liked it. Maybe it was a bad batch. This was also 10-15 years ago. Anyhoo, I could be wrong, Highland brings back alot of good memories regardless. Lots of good swamper times. I won't touch scotch anymore, Highland carries a similar taste and aroma.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Hmmm after repeated smoking this one is falling out of favor......

Seems to have a character that attacks the tongue without provocation.

Also the cut is real long and rough.

So not yet have I found a Mac Baren blend that I really can stay with, although I am wanting to revisit HH Acadian Perique.

The one notable thing about their product seems to be a good amount of tobacco for the dollar.

Seems if I am smoking from a stock of say 10 different tins, that one never seems to run down even when hit every day.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
junkyarddawg:
I think you've really nailed it. So many pipe smokers have this stereotypical perception of MacBaren blends and the notorious "MacBaren bite." But the fact is that MacBaren produces some of the best-selling blends in the world -- including the best-selling blend. Is it because all of these smokers are just ignorant? I don't think so. I think many MacBaren blends require an approach that isn't going to come naturally to new pipe smokers. As a result, those smokers end up with tongue bite and unsatisfactory smokes. Once you've gained some experience in the pipe -- meaning you understand what's happening in the bowl and in your mouth to the extent where you can adjust your packing and puffing and perceptions to properly approach a blend on its own terms -- then I think some of these blends really shine.
Bob

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I did not say anything about " bite."

This effect is something else, and there has been some discussion on the forum by some few other members although it is not well defined.

As thus what is being described is somwhat abstract if not esoteric in nature.

I had a pipe in my mouth 45 years ago.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Mac Baren blends bite some quite experienced and skilled smokers. I tend to hold body chemistry accountable, not technique.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Mac Baren tobaccos make up a large portion of my rotation/cellar, I've yet to find a blend by them that I didn't like or love. But they do require some experience to smoke. If you don't sip them, they'll get you, but a Mac B smoked properly is heaven!

As for HH Highland, I actually find it to be a little more forgiving than some of their blends. That being said, I'd say the most forgiving Mac Bs I've tried is HH Vintage Syrian and Mixture Flake.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The only MB blend I can smoke, as regards bite, is Old Dark Fired.
Also, I had this mistaken notion in mind that once a blend is released, it stays released forever, whatever the sales. But just not true, I guess, given the fate of HH Highland.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I really like this blend. Its a very nice smoke. Its gonna suck if they actually discontinue this blend. I've also heard that Mac Baren is discontinuing HH Mature Virginia. That would be a shame too. That's a good Virginia blend.

+1 billypm, everything I've read and experienced for myself has leaned towards the acidity of a blend and body chemistry as opposed to the temperature, although temperature also increases the effect of acids. This is why many processes in chemistry heats the acids used.
That said, I've enjoyed all of the Mac Barren blends that I've tried, but if I smoked them in a narrow chamber, they bite like a mouth-full of rattlesnakes. But, if I smoke them in a larger diameter bowl, delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.