PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m reaping the benefits of cellaring a good bit of this when I first started smoking. 7 years old and it’s fantastic. I’m usually not a big fan of DFK, but the smoky (in tin note and flavor to me) earthy, nutty and sour Kentucky goes very well with the sweet cased Mac Baren Virginias. I’m not a Latakia smoker, but for whatever reason I really enjoy the smokiness here. There’s just enough DFK to give me a perique like tingle in my throat and nose. Great depth of rich flavor without being excessively strong. The universally positive reviews (so far, at least) of the room note doesn’t hurt either.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Club is amazing tobacco. It gets overlooked because it's just stupid old Mac Baren. What a shame. If the tins said "GL Pease" or something, people would be losing their minds over it.
It's a genius blend. Super sweet, super spicy, pretty full and leathery. Crazy good. It snuck up on me, I'm surprised I like it as much as I do and for as long as I have, but I am literally never without Club Blend on the go, and pretty often I tuck into some vaunted wonder-tobacco only to think halfway through the bowl "Well, this is great, but it's no Club Blend."
The coins can be a bit fussy, I don't think this is beginner-grade tobacco. But when you get this (and Dark Twist, and Roll Cake) right... boy oh boy.
There's no latakia in it. Per told me that of the coins only the now disco'd "Latakia Blend" had latakia, and that had 2%, just a whisper. So it's all the cavendish/kentucky doing the talking in Club.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I actually just found a jar of Club Blend that I stored away awhile back. It was a 2009 tin that I bought at a B&M in like 2012. I had about 4-5 bowls out of it then jar'd it up. Obviously now the what's in the jar is 9yrs old. That'll probably be the next blend I go through after getting into the tin of Mad Fiddler Flake that I picked up a few months back.

P

pipebuddy

Mac Baren Roll Cakes are seriously under the radar!

Club Blend and Dark Twist are little jewels of the pipe tobacco world.

The problem is that newbies should avoid Mac Baren tobaccos; at least, until they have enough experience with an adequate cadence and they master the art of proper moisture level of the tobacco.

Only when are they overcoming the issues of tongue bite, can they fully appreciate these wonderful offerings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for bringing Club Blend to our attention. It hasn't been talked about much, I don't think, nor merchandised much online or in catalogs. Apparently it goes better with quite a bit of aging, which may be the reason for its living in the shade, as it were.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It certainly changes with age. It's more mellow and more unified in flavor after X number of years (10-15). I like it fresh though, it's got a dynamic interplay in flavors. I find it almost too sweet and mellow when it's really old.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Roll Cake is more burley-ish, and does not have any maple flavor. At least some of the leaf in club is boiled in a maple sugar/syrup sort of broth, so there's a sort of... toasted marshmallow thing going on. Not like a maple aromatic or anything, but just ... some added sweetness. Roll Cake does not have that.
Roll Cake tastes just a little... just a little.... like Kingfisher. Solid Va/Per/Bur sort of profile.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The "old" Roll Cake, Royal Twist, was REALLY spicy, like a monster va/per. I got an old tin in Chicago a few years back and it put me on the ground.

Dec 24, 2012
I bought a bunch of roll cake in 2012 that was dated 2010 - when did the new roll cake come out? I seem to have just shy of two pounds of it in the 3.5 oz tins and don't recall having tried. I also have 3 of the club blend 3.5 oz tins from the same period. Sounds like I should have stocked up on the club blends instead.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Sounds fine but does it need to be aged many years before it becomes fantastic? I prefer stuff that is amazing right out of the tin.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I popped a new tin recently. It is very good. I haven't decided how good yet, but it's good. Sweet and spicy, does not bite my tongue. Not heavy on nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.