PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I've been collecting personal tasting notes for a while, trying to keep track of the tobacco blends I've had the luxury to sample. Tonight, while writing about my recent tasting, I considered sharing future reviews on TobaccoReviews.com.
I'm familiar with reviewing spirits (obvious from my use of certain taste descriptions) and commenting to film/art/photography, but have never really shared tobacco opinions.
So, I've decided to share this first on the forums, because I know that fellow members will be brutally honest, and I'll know if my insights are better kept to myself.
Thank you for any feedback you may be willing to provide!
Mac Baren - HH Bold Kentucky
Mac Barren's HH Bold Kentucky comes as a dark brown flake with sparse flecks of lighter Virginia leaf. The tin note is smokey with hints of fermented plum, dark fruit, and molasses. Being a pressed tobacco, the flakes are fairly moist in the tin, and could benefit from a bit of drying time. The cold draw is marginally sweet with a touch of molasses.
Even rubbed out, the tobacco takes some effort to get started, and requires several relights throughout; issues that might be minimized with a bit of patience and experimentation, but I doubt can fully be remedied.
As the name suggest: the dark-fired Kentucky leaf is bold; front and center. The vaguely sweet tin aroma and test draws are nowhere to be found during the first half of the the bowl, with the flavor of Kentucky leaf strong, pure, and unadulterated; a taste similar to dry, bitter chocolate and dark roast espresso. A perceivable casing or topping is absent, with the blend being allowed to speak for itself. The body is full, with an obvious nicotine content, and may be best enjoyed as a late, second dinner. By mid-bowl, the grassy Virginia leaf helps round out the strength, slightly softening the blow... but not before the Kentucky comes back swinging harder than ever.
Contrary to the moisture level ― fresh from the tin ― the blend burns cool and fairly dry.
Mac Baren's HH Bold Kentucky is a stout, straight forward blend, that excels at what it was blended to do: deliver a dark, rich, punchy dark-fired Kentucky flavor for lovers of that special breed of burley. Where HH Old Dark Fired is a mellow, hip, crowd pleasing tobacco, that often tries to play to the judges ― Bold Kentucky is it's much beefier cousin; always proud to flaunt exactly what it is: simple, brash, unapologetic, and a bit punch-drunk.
3/4 stars.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I find it to be mild (Jiminks accused me of having kryptonian DNA because of it) but it does taste very good!

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I would have to agree. While nicotine doesn't have a strong reaction on me, I'm pretty sure after my second pipeful this evening, I won't be sleeping until Sunday.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
:rofl:
I think I've been smoking too long. For something a little more interesting, mix BK 50/50 with Black Twist XX.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Cut the XX into coins, cube cut the coins and the BK, let dry for thirty minutes to an hour, gravity fill and enjoy!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
When I'm grown up I definitely ought to try this HH out description sounds very appealing to a former Ryo cigarette smoker who primarly smoked and only The Ketucky Dark Fired(brand of Van Nelle Zware shag Holland made)-and I loved it during the years)but so far I'm afraid of nicotine content of any Mc Barens HH serie tobaco,even the Mc Barens Old Dark fired got my head spinning after when passing the mid bowl point,,

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
My suggestion: Stop at one bowl; especially if you're folding multiple flakes at a time.
I'm just sharing... um... my friend's opinion? Yeah, because "he" needed several cups of coffee and a cold shower before finally getting around 3 hours of sleep last night.
Still, it was worth it.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Jeffery "that friend of yours " should try a diet coke next time he suffers such excruciations.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Bold Kentucky is real good stuff, I too find it milder and enjoy it more than ODF. Nic doesn't bother me but occasionaly I over due some heavy blends, anything sweet seems to help really.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I shall keep this chocolte&Honey first aid procedures' in mind if and when I'm again 'overdone with high nic. blends,nevertheless, this HH seems be very interesting based on this and other reviews as well, a must try down the road,

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I love both Bold Kentucky and ODF. That said, Bold Kentucky is a every-once-in-a-while smoke, whereas ODF is a tobacco I smoke just about every evening.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
For lovers of Bold Kentucky I would confidently suggest trying Dark Flake and Westmorland Slices both made by Gawith & Hoggarth.
Very similar in looks and depth of flavour, they are sure to please the BK lover.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.