PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I happened upon an old movie, Ma & Pa Kettle in the "Egg and I."
I remember watching them when I was a kid, and laughing my ass off. At that time the Ma & Pa Kettle movies were already almost 20 years old.
Anyway, in the "Egg and I" Pa takes from his pocket a corncob pipe, loads the pipe the codger way, but never smokes it. He did this 3-4 times during the movie. He talked about wanting to win a new tobacco pouch by writing a poem about tobacco. He won the pouch, along with a mansion for himself, wife, and family. Hysterical old time comedy!

In several Bing Crosby movies, I would notice that he would pack his pipe and then the pipe would just disappear. In the movie, High Society, when any actor walked into the scene, they would take out a pipe, pack it, cut a cigar, or roll a cigarette, or take one out of the case, and then after putting it in their lips, the smoking implement would disappear. There was also a Bing Christmas movie where I noticed the same thing. Everyone would prepare their smoke, and the smoking device would just vanish. At least in movies today, if a character is smoking, they let them smoke in a way that doesn't make the scene look like it has lost continuity.
Someone had told me that in some old movies, cigarette companies would require that movies have cigarettes in every scene, so the movie industry would just meet minimum requirements. Bing also had a contract that he had to be shown a certain number of times with a pipe in each movie.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The movies were loosely based on Betty MacDonald's book about the challenges of farm life on the Olympic Peninsula in the late twenties and early thirties. I think she wrote it while living on Vashon. I grew up more or less in that area, and still visit several times each year.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I remember watching them when I was a kid, and laughing my ass off.
Sorry to hear about your ass, Frank :D
Pa takes from his pocket a corncob pipe, loads the pipe the codger way, but never smokes it. He did this 3-4 times.
Yeah, sorta sets up a tension in you doesn't it? Like, light the darn thing will ya.
Michael's point is well made. Continuity can ad or detract from a scene. Little things can bug you. They do not keep you from loving the film but they can create an itch you cannot scratch.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
The power of suggestion in movies is fascinating. I can't tell you how mind-blown I was to find that The Dude never actually bowls in The Big Lebowski!

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
To follow up on jguss' post I heartily recommend the original The Egg and I novel, published in 1945 and a million seller. It is screamingly funny, literal fall on the floor funny. The movie, from which the Ma & Pa Kettle flicks were spun off, was pretty good but, as usual, the book is wildly better, a true comic masterpiece. Don't know how available it is.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Thanks Darwin, I didn't know about the book. :D
My Mom turned me on to the movies around '63 or so. Good stuff, good times.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I just went to Amazon and got the hardback for under $5. Then also a CD set of all TEN movies, for under $10.

Talk about a good deal!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Then also a CD set of all TEN movies, for under $10.
Thanks for sharing that info, mcitinner1.
Glad you got it reattached, Frank. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.