PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Yep - great picture of him online. There's also a really good article on him from the mid-90s which talks about his pipe. I like the pipe he's smoking in the pic and would like to track one down.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
His massive size, though hard on his health, increased the nuance and power of his voice,

it seemed. But the element that made him an immortal in opera was the magnitude of his

joy in performing. He convinced his audience that there was nothing else he would rather

be doing with those hours of his life than appearing before them. It was moving just to see

him. I think the tobacco pipe was a good choice in terms of being least hard on his vocal

cords, since he was going to enjoy life with immensity no matter what.

Feb 26, 2014
I remember going to see him perform as part of the 3 Tennors in what used to be Skydome in Toronto (now Roger's Center I think?)...I was in the nose bleeds but it was still a great performance.

Aug 14, 2012
I heard an interview with him in which he described his education. His father, a singer, decided that Luciano should also become an opera singer. "My father was a diva," he said. But his father decided that his son needed further education. So he sent him to a very successful tenor. Luciano described how that teacher taught him to make a small hole in his throat and "shoot" the sound through. That was how he got his famous sound. I guess it pays to give special attention to your children's education, not just write a check.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Parents sometimes convince their children that they are already who they later become. General MacArthur

and Norman Mailer both had moms who doted on them with unending intensity and fanned the fires of

their egos. Picasso's dad surrendered his own career in painting to shower attention and expectations

on his son. This behavior doesn't always improve the person (at least in these three cases, probably not)

but sometimes drives their talent and ambition. In Pavarotti's case, despite the vast waves of adulation he

confronted at most performances, he remained a somewhat affable and sociable human being, at least to

some degree. I think it is the confidence instilled in a young person, that then radiates to those in the

chosen profession, that makes them stand out and generates unusual and continuing opportunities. So

much depends on the often irrational conviction that you can do the unprecedented work.

Status
Not open for further replies.