PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kellijaebaeli

Lurker
Jan 1, 2017
Eureka Springs, AR
I'm making the switch from cigarettes to pipe tobacco...having trouble figuring out how to select tobacco. I smoke the lightest cigs on the market--Pall mall, Now, Carlton, all menthol. Down in the 1 to 3 mg tar and nicotine range, so I'm looking for an equally light/mild pipe tobacco (if that's possible), and any other suggestions that might help that goal--(certain pipes or filters?). Hope to get some suggestions about which ones to get samples of. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Carter Hall and Prince Albert would be safe bets. Another choice for coming away from cigarettes, I would suggest Cornell & Diehl's "Haunted Bookshop". May want to get you two or three Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes to rotate through, as all three blends mentioned smoke well in a cob, plus cobs can be smoked with, or without a filter.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Welcome to the forum Keli. It seems the majority here don't use filters but I prefer them because they keep the smoke dry and prevent "gurgle" in your pipe. Google 6mm and 9mm pipes for ideas on what to buy. You may be surprised, but corn cob pipes are VERY popular and also a good beginner pipe. "Light" pipe tobacco is something you might look for at TobaccoReviews.com

Sep 18, 2015
Welcome Kelly,

As far as I know there is not really a 'light' tobacco, with cigs to reduce the tar I think they simply poke more holes in the filter.

With a pipe you can use the 9mm charcoal filters, as for the nic levels generally the milder blends have less. I don't think pipe tobacco is manipulated the way cigarettes are so it's just a matter of time finding something You like that meets your preferences.

Happy hunting.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
If you are not intending to inhale, which seems like the only sane way to smoke a pipe then trying Carter Hall and/or Prince Albert, as suggested with a Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipe, as suggested, makes the most sense. The 6mm Medico filters are fine if you want to use a filter or you can use the pipe without a filter as most do.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I would consider Alexnorth's idea about quitting cigs first because your pipe smoking journey would be so much more enjoyable. I know it's hard but you can do it, I did and I smoked 3 packs a day. Once you've finally kicked the cigs, start out with something like Carter Hall and Prince Albert as have been mentioned. If you want to graduate to stronger blends later then try C&D's Three Friars and Haunted Bookshop. Good Luck.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Are you switching to pipe tobacco to roll into cigarettes or are you switching to pipe tobacco to smoke in a pipe?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As far as a quality bulk pipe tobacco with little to no additional flavoring added goes, I'd recommend trying and ounce or two of McClelland Black & Lemon.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Keep in mind that you won't be inhaling the pipe tobacco. If you want something extremely mild, I might suggest something like Lane 1-Q or BCA in a light aromatic, or Prince Albert or Carter Hall in an unflavored tobacco. There are brands called Kentucky Select, Farmer's Gold and Jester that makes a menthol blend since that is what you smoke now, plus a few others that offer it in a mint flavoring.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard kelli'. Switching from cigarettes to a tobacco pipe, which I think is what you are doing, requires a conscientious effort because the two activities are alike but different. As several have noted, you don't want to inhale into your lungs in the usual cigarette smoking manner. I would also discourage (what some recommend) retro-haling, that is, circulating the smoke through your nasal passages, which gets back into more exposure and probably some inhaling, since most of us breath a lot through our noses. The key item may be how much slower pipe smoking needs to be. With nails, you suck that smoke down about as fast as you can, or fast anyway. Pipe smoking is slow, sipping, contemplative, savoring. It's not nervous, it's meditative. So go at it like you are learning a whole new skill, like riding a bike or learning a language. There are many very mild, low nic pipe tobaccos, usually graded by number of dots or triangles on a scale posted with each blend. See sponsor sites like smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, iwanries.com, etc. under their tobacco pages. I think avoiding the menthol flavored pipe tobaccos might be smart, to remind you you aren't smoking cigarettes. Most new pipe smokers like flavored tobaccos, aromatics, with flavorings like vanilla, caramel, whiskey, rum, peaches, etc. I think the better aromatics are tobacco-forward, but that's my taste. Hope this helps. Good luck.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Welcome,

I switched from cigs to pipe tobacco and it took me a few months of gradually weening off to drop cigs entirely. Corn Cob pipes are good to start with because they are easier to maintain and allow you to focus on getting the packing, lighting, cadence, etc, down without having to clean the pipe all the time. I would recommend getting as many samples of tobacco as you can to find what varieties you like. There is little worse than having a few ounces lying around of tobacco you don't enjoy. Try not to inhale as pipes are far worse for your lungs than cigs. I found retro-haling to be helpful in getting the nicotine I craved out of weaker blends. It is just pulling smoke into your mouth and out of your nose in one swift action. Patience is key in learning, and you want to smoke as slowly as possible while keeping the tobacco lit. Smoking fast can turn a great tasting bowl to shit in a matter of seconds. I would recommend getting a sampler of some kind and taking your time getting to know what blends you like and dislike. There is another world of taste and wonder waiting to reward the patient pipe smoker. Most cigs are some type if Virginia and there are Burley, Perique, Cavendish, Latakia, Turkish, Oriental and many more styles of tobacco out there to choose from. If you don't like one type, get another. It is that simple. Good luck and feel free to ask questions, no matter how dumb they might seem. We have all been there. :)

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
if you really want to quit smoking cigarettes, you should consider quitting smoking entirely for a while. Though it seems to have helped a lot of people modify their smoking habits, there's no guarantee pipe smoking is going to help ... you may end up smoking both! I wish you success, anyway, and certainly wouldn't want to dissuade you from displacing some of your older form of tobacco consumption with an arguably more enjoyable one.
The pipe gets more of my time the last several years ... I'm afraid the cigars and cigarettes still make their appearances. :puffy:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Oh, yeah ... McClelland's Frog Morton blends are low-mic and mild, but pretty tasty stuff, and offer some variety (FM On The Town is a a sweet Oriental-leaning blend, FM On The Bayou is spiked with Perique, etc. FG Cellar seems to get the most resounding positive comment here for its creamy whiskey sweetness).

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Just search through the forum and you'll find lots of information for new pipe smokers. This is how I learned the basics and there are many helpful people on the forum to answer any questions you have. I started with Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, MM 965, and London Mixture. The ribbon cut comes at just the right moisture and is easy for beginners to pack and enjoy. Go slow, then go slower. Relax, have a cup of tea or some lemonade to sip. Just sip from the pipe; fast paced puffing will lead to a burned tongue. It will take some time to learn the packing method and pace that works best for you. Relighting is no big deal; don't fall into the trap thinking that you have to smoke a` pipe using only 2 matches. It will take some time for your palette to adapt to pipe smoking so don't be concerned if you don't pick up the amazing flavors others talk about. As your technique improves the flavors will come.
Welcome to the forum and good luck!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would consider getting some Burley Ribbon Cut and Bright Virginia Ribbon and mixing them 60-40. Mild with as few additives as possible.

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
I like the above from DM. As an ex-cigarette smoker, I used a pipe to get off cigs. Took a few months to slow my pace, not smoke 10-12 bowls per day (I manage to scrape together a few peanuts for food and tobacco by working at home, so that is how one is able to smoke 12+ bowls/day), and stop sneaking inhales. I smoked Camel non-filters, which were always too much for other smokers that needed to bum one, so I was in a different position than you as far as what I was used to, both in nic and fuller flavor. In retrospect, I would have started with something like Pease's Union Square, a pure Va with no added sugars, versus aros. But, that is just me.
If you suck at quitting smoking, like I did, you can transfer over to a pipe, stop the inhaling, and NOT miss cigarettes one bit. It just takes a little effort to readjust your thinking and habits.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Interesting thread, but I don't get new members who drive-by, request help, get some sane advice and disappear in the ethers

Hope they found what they are looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.