PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesomeness

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2018
May is a hectic month in Norway, and in my family specially.
I've been working on a crown briar pipe. Of the billard shape.

I thought this would be a good place to start, as I bought 6 pipes for 80$.
I can't upload a pictures from my phone. So they will come later.
This is my first project and this is what I did.

I rinsed the pipe in moonshine. As everclear is concidered as a narcotics substance in Norway.
I then warmed ut the stem i hot water before I rinsed the inside with a couple of pipecleaners diped in alcohol.
On the outsider I used an ordinary household sponge with toothpaste to rub of the oxidation. I used the green side of the sponge.
I took a some of the oxidation each evening over the course of three days.
When I was happy with the result, I rubbed the stem a couple of times with olive oil, as a protective layer.
I would love to get hints and tips. So feel free to contribute or criticies.
Cheers!

awesomeness

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2018
May is a hectic month in Norway, and in my family specially.
I've been working on a crown briar pipe. Of the billard shape.

I thought this would be a good place to start, as I bought 6 pipes for 80$.
I can't upload a pictures from my phone. So they will come later.
This is my first project and this is what I did.

I rinsed the pipe in moonshine. As everclear is concidered as a narcotics substance in Norway.
I then warmed ut the stem i hot water before I rinsed the inside with a couple of pipecleaners diped in alcohol.
On the outsider I used an ordinary household sponge with toothpaste to rub of the oxidation. I used the green side of the sponge.
I took a some of the oxidation each evening over the course of three days.
When I was happy with the result, I rubbed the stem a couple of times with olive oil, as a protective layer.
I would love to get hints and tips. So feel free to contribute or criticies.
Cheers!

awesomeness

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2018
tcqckZECTvlggCHF2

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The stummel looks good! Can't wait to see the stem when finished. Mineral oil is a bit better than olive oil, which can turn rancid.
_20180523_182022.jpg

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I'd use food safe mineral oil. My son is a cabinet maker and he uses it to finish butcher block countertops or cutting boards etc., that is anything to or from which the human may cut up foods.

awesomeness

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2018
As you can see, I used the green side of a kitchen sponge. I used toothpaste with whitening as it has more abrasive. I could see the litte white grains in the toothpaste.

Almost like specks of sand. I tried ordinary toothpaste. But it did not work as well. I use this particular paste because I like the smell. The name is Solidox White theeth. "White theeth in two weeks" as it says on the front.
dsc_0444-600x337.jpg

awesomeness

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2018
This project went very well. Conaider my lack of skill. If you look closely you kan see some of the scrape lines from the toothpaste. You can also see some dents I haven't filled. I'm considering filling them with "plastic sement", and file it down. Tips on the best way to do this would be much appreciated
dsc_0443-600x337.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
To restore or achieve a high polish on your stems, the micro mesh pads are hard to beat.

The pit or two on your stem will sand out without much problem, so, adding glue and sanding isn't what I'd call optimum.

I like that pipe because of the stem, primarily. It looks to be one that would be easy on your teeth and comfortable to clench. I've got pipes with similar stems that I really enjoy.

For lots of ideas for restorations, try:

rebornpipes.com

awesomeness

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2018
Thank you newbroom! Reborn pipes is a page I've spent some time on ;) A really great site. The bite is good, and it's a very good draw in the pipe as well.

I've seen many using micromesh. But what if I need to sand down the pipe again? Won't the micro mesh remove a lot of the stem itself?

awesomeness

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2018
The top of the bowl. I left some of the old cake in the pipe. It's ghosting, so I let it be. The bowl rim was black. I used spit and a rag, and Just went to ut. It came of pretty easy.
dsc_0460-600x337.jpg

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Great result, another pipe back from the dead. I have also been refurbishing a few pipes as I can find them in antique/junk stores. I tried automotive cut/polish on a stem and it worked fine, though I'm not sure if it's the best method.

Status
Not open for further replies.