PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I suppose some of you are tired of pictures of low grade pipes, but I still like them, and enjoy cleaning them up and smoking them. So here's my latest. Yet another Duncan Hill Aerosphere, a $3.50 purchase, only this time with a nice smooth finish. I happen to really like smoking these pipes, as they have decent briar with no fills, and a carburetor that is in the stem, which make more sense to me. They have a nice draw and smoke rather cool without the drawbacks of a filter. I hate to admit it, but some of these supposed low grade pipes smoke as good as some of the high grade pipes I've smoked. Just one picture to show how good these pipes look when cleaned up. Smoking some HGL in it now, and thanks for putting up me and my dubious addictions.

img_01242-600x387.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That is indeed a nice looking pipe, and the price is right too!
I have an old Kaywoodie that is carbureted as well. I can't tell if it really makes any difference in the smoke.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That is beautiful. And a unique stem, which I really like. It looks like the bowl drops a bit in the front as it leans forward. is this right, or is it the camera angle that I'm seeing? I'm also a sucker for the beveled inside bowl.
One thought: Have you considered moving up to fuel injection?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Basically, a carburetor in a pipe is nothing more than a small hole in the bowl, shank or stem to introduce outside air in to somewhat cool and dilute the smoke a little. Some people don't like them at all, and others like myself have mixed feelings depending on where the hole is located as to it's effectiveness. I've had pipes with all types of carburetors and find that the one in the stem works the best for me, which isn't saying much. Not a huge believer in system pips like this, but the Aerosphere seems to be a nice smoking pipe. Yeah, the bowl does drop ever so slightly. Fuel injected pipes go too fast for me! :lol:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have 6 Carey Magic Inch pipes in my rotation that I really like. They smoke aro's like a champ, with no gurgle at all. But, of course, I'm a cheap pipe lover(whore). Be it Grabows, MM cobs, or Careys. If I find one I like I smoke it and do not care what anyone else thinks...

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Agnosticpipe:
It pains me that anybody would be compelled to defend their OTC, or even slightly better, burners on this forum. I'll take a sixty year old, beat to shit Kaywoodie, Edward's or Mastercraft "tackle box" pipe over a new Sasieni or an Italian Brigham any day of the week.
Don't get me wrong, I love the artisan burners so many of our fellow forum members smoke. They're works of art and I truly enjoy their pictures and their joy of ownership. (With twin sons in college those beauties are well out of my price range but I still love to look at them.)
That you're getting a great smoke from a Duncan Hill Aerosphere is something to be celebrated! Ditto Weezell's good fortune with his Carey's.
Old briar is good briar and these burners of ours are just delivery systems of tobacco.
Agnosticpipe, I enjoy your posts. Please don't stop.
Fnord

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I do enjoy these old pipes, and in no way mean to denigrate high grade or artisanal pipes, as they truly are works of art many times, and let's face it, they are usually great smokers. I see no reason to discontinue seeking out interesting old pipes and posting my adventures with them, as it's just too much fun, and who knows, I might actually find an affordable Dunhill to play with some day!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Nice pipe, some of my favorite smokers are cheapos that I've rescued.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've had a few of the Duncan Hill pipes and found them to be be good smokes. They also make a neat tamper with that half saddle stem and the inlays on some stems.

The Duncan Hills and Careys are cousins,made by the same company.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Agnost, these "low level" pipes are as interesting as any. It is noteworthy what striking grain this pipe

displays. In a high priced pipe, you pay dearly for that. I think the smoking characteristics of many

inexpensive pipes are as good as mid- or high-level pipes. I didn't like my stem-vented pipe so much,

seldom smoked it, so finally donated it to a friend. But they have sold for many decades so must have

a true following. I would say a third of my stable of pipes is low-level, and they are mostly both good

looking and smoke well. Keep on showing us your interesting acquisitions, if you please.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Great pipe. Being somewhat parsimonious myself, I really appreciate an inexpensive pipe that smokes like a champ.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Big ditto on what Fnord said.
Besides for $3.50 you've given yourself hours of enjoyment both in the restoration and smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.