PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tessa444

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
Hello Everyone,
This is my first time here! I need to pick somebody's brain. I am trying to date my one pipe, I have a rough idea but can't figure out how to confirm. It is a Louis Fiolet Pipe and has the L.F. stamp. The bowl is a carved skull. Any ideas who might be able to help, or if there is a reference catalogue?
Thanks Tessa

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Come as friend and stay as family

still noob in pipes and hope our experts will answer your question soon where pics will help much faster.

happy puffing :puffy:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Welcome to the forum Tessa....
If your Louis Fiolet is a clay pipe, you may have something there. Photo's would be of great help.

He passed away in 1892.
Have a look at this pipe http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/objects/display.aspx?id=10432

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Hello Tessa. I have an L. Fiolet from the late 1800's.

You may find some info by digging around here http://www.dawnmist.demon.co.uk/pipdex.htm . I was able to find my Fiolet listed in her illustrations.

Best of luck, hope you'll post any info you find.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Like this one ?

(EDIT: Duh ! It's the one TopD posted as well...)
hommedia.ashx

Does it still have the stem ? Is it a full clay or just a bowl in which then a reed or wooden stem would be inserted (Like the picture) ? Are you trying to find out its worth to sell it ? If it's your only pipe, I would be surprised if you actually smoke it ;-)
In summary, yes Fiolet pipes are valuable. How much ? I found an auction catalog from France dating a couple of years ago. Top of the line 250 Euro. The nice ones went for around 200 Euro. The smaller, less carved ones for 50 Euro. So a picture would be greatly helpful. You can find the auction catalog here (http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/telecha/collectionraphael.pdf)
Good luck.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Tessa!

You seem to have fired up the Membership with this inquiry.

We all love to see and learn about those historical curiosities.
Let me echo arabpipesmoker's sentiment:

Come as friend and stay as family
:puffy:

tessa444

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
Hello Gentlemen,
Thanks so much for replying. Yes The pipe I have is fully intact with the stem and it is very similar to the one posted by Mick, only mine has cross bones under the chin and a bow tie around the skulls neck. I would gladly share a picture but I haven't a clue as to how to post it within this message!! So HELP!
Thanks Tessa

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Wow.. you do indeed have the stem. Looks wooden to me ?
Can you take close-up pictures of the markings, the bowl and the stem ?
But you may indeed have something here that's really cool.

tessa444

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks, Yes the stem is wooden. The Stamp on the bottom is not the easiest to see and I tried taking a picture of it but it didn't turn out. I will try to hone in on the key points you asked me to and post more pictures...but I am no photographer! I am off to work so I will try and do it when I get home tonight around midnight.
Again Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated. I also have another pipe I know nothing about so I will post pictures in this feed later tonight.
Have a great day

Tessa

tessa444

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
dscf5005-copy-150x112.jpg

Can't seem to get any better shot. This is as good as it gets unless I send it to an email address.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Very cool pipe !

If you're planning to sell it on Ebay, definitely list it with Ebay UK. Clay pipes in general dont have the same following in the states as they do overseas.

tessa444

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
Lawrence you are a doll!! They look great and now I can see the stamp. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.
Edit: Shhhhh.... Don't tell The War Department... She might start to being nice to me....

Just kidding. :D
You are welcome.

tessa444

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
Hey Lonestar, I know it is hard to tell but yes the stem is attached. I don't think I will sell this Pipe, as it was my great Uncles. I think I may have found a new hobby! I have another pipe but I have no idea what it is I am going to try and post pictures of it in just a few minutes. Perhaps someone may know something about it.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I don't think I will sell this Pipe, as it was my great Uncles.
:D
Music to my ears. That pipe is too cool to sell !

I edited my earlier post after seeing the side view.

Definitely post some pics of the other one, maybe we can give you a bit more info on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.