PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Standing in kitchen, I pick the drab grey bag up off my table. Inside:1/8" drill bit, 7/64" drill bit, reciept for the previous two items.
Walk through dining room, open door to downstairs, walk down the stairs. Right, go through my workshop's antechamber: the sad messy room filled with cluttered metal cabinets and my flex-shaft workbench. Open door to workshop. Take three steps into shop. Compare drill bits to the nail I'll be welding into the hole. The 7/64" is a good size. Guess I'll return the 1/8".
But wait, where's the reciept?!
Walk back and forth between kitchen and workshop several times. Can't find it. Check other rooms. Check garbage pails. Walk to kitchen, then to workshop. Look under all furniture. Check pockets several times. No grey bag, no reciept.
What the hell?
Happens all the time. I have lost hundreds of things in this way. All of my screwdrivers, a few hammers, several pliers, all of my welding gloves... Where does it all go? Found a few things while packing, but most of it is still gone. Perhaps these things are in the dryer with all of my missing socks.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Damb elves! Things often just up and disappear in my shop as well, especially when my wife wants to help me clean...

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
HM, what you got there is a miniature Einstein-Rosen bridge, commonly known as a mini-wormhole. Your gray bag and receipt were quantum entangled with another point in the multiverse and now reside there in perpetuity. So, yeah, they're in the dryer where the gnomes are parading around in your missing socks.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Not to get all serious, but do you have a dog that likes to pick up and hide things?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I only keep track of stuff by habitual slightly obsessive behavior. I help my wife find a lot of things -- her phone, her address book, her iPad, her socks, and so on. But I am not an organized person. So I can sympathize. There are various major psychological and philosophical theories of losing things. One Buddhist saying is, "You are not looking for your keys, you are looking for yourself." Interesting, but not absolute. Perhaps we all have too much stuff.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've learned after so many times the same type of things happening that you have to admit that you're not paying attention.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't ask, just looked up a list of cryptids, and this one jumped out at me. More likely gnomes.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
It happens to me all of the time.

I have considered placing video cameras in the house so I can playback the videos of myself as I absent mindedly lay things down, off to the side, drop them or leave them in various particularly odd places. You wouldn't believe how many keys, pairs of reading glasses, pens, cell phones, etc. that we have found laying in the fridge. I am seriously losing it! :crazy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
1. If you're over 30 get yourself checked for early onset alzheimers or dementia.

2. Check the dog or the wife. Mine both like to take things and either throw them out or chew them. You figure out which does what.

3. I'm with MSO I have to keep my stuff in set places or I will never find them again.

4. Brad is absolutely right

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
There is a philosophy that church keys metamorphose into,hangers. Thus no bottle openers and plenty of hangers this philosophy is called resistentializism objects resist humans we just lose the battle. Shel

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I spent 30 minutes yesterday walking back and forth from the garage to the front of the house looking for the automatic timer for the christmas lights that I just put up. I had the timer in my hand, was checking it over and then it just vanished. I eventually found it sitting on top of my wifes car, I have absolutely no recollection of being on that side of the garage.

I feel your pain, I lose crap all the time and then I get obsessive about finding it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Drives me insane but in the words of Chris Stapleton, "I've got nobody to blame, but me."

Status
Not open for further replies.