PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm very interested inbuying my 1st meerschaum. I am leaning towards a churchwarden, loking for advise from you pros. I would like to keep in under $200 thanks if you can help.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
IMP Meers on Smokingpipes.com.
They are all 50% off and much better than the Paycoc ones you will find in the majority of your B&M's.
You can get their best ones for under $170 now.
Their supply won't last forever, but they do post new batches of all pipes on Monday's and Thursdays.
Good luck.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
+1 on the IMP. I picked up one of theirs a few weeks back and it is one of my favorite smokers. Good price.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just don't get around to smoking my churchwarden. Maybe cause I just can't sit long enough in one place, or the long stem is unwieldy. But a good meer is a good thing indeed!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have an opinion on IMP versus Meerschaum Depot pipes? I notice that Meerschaum Depot tends to run less expensive, even with the current sale. Do you think that IMP are significantly better pipes?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
For your first meer escpecially, I would get something other than a churchwarden. I think unless you really are attached to churchwardens you will tend to smoke a standard length more often. Meers are great smokes and you will want to smoke it frequently.

Just my opinion. I have 4 churchwardens but they are my least frequently smoked pipes. May just be me :)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I bought my first meer from site sponsor MeerschaumStore.com, and have been quite happy with it. They don't have a lot of churchwardens in stock at the moment, but keep an eye out... They also list several that have double stems - both a longer churchwarden stem and a shorter one, which isn't a bad idea.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I read this thread last night and the PAD kicked in and I went straight to SP and purchased two of them spontaneously. These will be the first meers in my pipe rotation. I had considered making the plunge and getting myself one for some time and this thread encouraged me to strike now while the sale was ongoing.
I rationalized the purchase as being a Father's Day gift to myself. I have two children, so what the hell I purchased two pipes. Ha. I grabbed a Lattice Bent Apple and a Lattice Horn with Silver.
Make the plunge scrooge! Jump on in the water is warm.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I think the IMPs from SP are a very, very good value. Even though I personally prefer Baki pipes (I have a few of them), if I were in the market for a new meer, I'd surely buy one of those IMPs. I have an IMP from some years back, when they were first introduced - a fine pipe it is!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Damn it, guys!
I had just bought a Big Ben and Stanwell from Pipes & Cigars. I don't need another pipe right now.
But I bought the Smooth Bent Dublin.
Beezer, that Father's Day idea was perfect. I only have the one son, so I bought one pipe instead of two. I would have got him to buy it for me, but he's only six and doesn't have a job.
Come to think of it, though, if I'm going to keep buying like this, I might have to put him to work!

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
+1 on IMP. I bought my first on Smokingpipes. It's by far my favorite pipe. I smoke fast and wet, but I've never had it gurgle, and it smokes cooler than my others. I avoided aromatics, because they often smoke wet, but this pipe got me back into them. I smoke almost anything, but it's good to have the option to smoke anything. Also, it's coloring quickly. I have nothing bad to say about IMP, and for half their usual price, it's a steal of a deal. If you're looking for something more fancy-looking (figures) than a traditional IMP, I'd check out Meerschaum Depot's pipes on Pipes & Cigars. Let us know what you choose.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
I avoided aromatics, because they often smoke wet, but this pipe got me back into them. I smoke almost anything, but it's good to have the option to smoke anything.
I just got my Meer from Merschaum Market and find I can smoke Molto Dolce with having it gargle up as in my Briar Pipes.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
I got my first and only Meerschaum from AND Meerschaum pipe store. It was a lot less than the price you quoted. Under $50.
I prefer my cobs now, but when I did smoke my Meerschaum a lot I found it great for araomatics , cools the smoke. I since moved on to English and prefer wood or Cobs.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Toadshade, sorry to hear that. Maybe the drilling is off or the stone isn't very porous on your meer? I bought a meer from MD, and it gurgles, but my IMP never does, no matter how wet the tobacco is. I believe it has something to do with the drilling. Maybe I'll see about getting it fixed in the future.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
I meant 'without' having it gargle up rottingcorpse. Smokes like a dream!

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Oh, that's great! When you notice some color emerging, make sure to update us with some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.