New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fell in love with C&D's Sunday Picnic, which is a wonderful VaPer with Turkish blended in. The Virginias are sweet and the Turkish adds a twang which works well with the spicy perique. It is a great all day smoker, but I am looking for something in this range in bulk, and was wondering if you folks could give me a suggestion for one that you've tried.

Thanks in advance :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I haven't yet tasted my tin of Sunday Picnic, so I can't make comparisons. But I thought Pease's Cairo was wonderful.

It's not exactly a bulk, but it is sold in 8oz. tins, saving you about 19% over the 2oz tins.

Here's the hype on it, and it sounds like it's in the blend type you describe:
From GL Pease: Cairo is a wonderfully complex mixture of red, orange and bright Virginia tobaccos, exotic oriental leaf, and just a whisper of perique. The flavor is naturally sweet, slightly nutty, delicately spicy and rich. Subtle citrus-like notes harmoniously support the more robust flavors of the darker Virginias. Cairo is a medium bodied but very satisfying tobacco with a delicate aroma that will be enjoyed by Virginia lovers and the connoisseur of oriental mixtures alike.
Cairo is one of my favorite cities in the near-East, perhaps even the world. When I was there, the energy of the place inspired me in ways I'd never imagined. This tobacco has a distinctly oriental character, reminiscent of the spice markets in the bazaar. What else could I call it?
Cornell & Diehl - 414: Oriental Silk is a loose bulk, also in that blend category, but I have never tasted it. It gets pretty high marks in the reviews though.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
You could make your own. Bulk Izmir, plus bulk Perique, plus your favorite bulk VA = yumminess. The only trick, if there is one, is not to use too much of the Izmir, which tends to steal the party. Rather, it turns up the music, dances on your kitchen table and basically ruins things for everybody else. But if you keep it toned down, the VA and Perique will play nicely with it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Excellent suggestion, James! :clap: I do that all the time since Roth recommended that to me a while ago.

The Izmir adds a nice exotic and sometimes musty, gamey note that enriches VaPers immensely.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It sounds like el ricon de la pipa #1 just may do the trick, there's a few other leafs in there but for 35$ a pound it is a steal. Also a top notch blend, definitely give it a shot it's probably my favorite blend.

Cortez, I do like GLP's Embarcadero quite a bit, so I will definitely try Cairo. I just hate that GLP doesn't sell in five pound bags, so I can't stow away as much. I am anxious to get your reaction to Sunday Picnic.
Pitchfork, I may give blending a try. I have tried adding perique to a few things, but it seems hard to get it to really blend in with the Virginias the same way bought blends have.
Andrew, I am slowly adding a few blends that have latakia in them to my rotation, but they are very, very lightly touched by the latakia, as in Lombard and Ashbury. How much latakia does this blend that you've recommended have? Is it more of a whisper to give it a slight aroma or is it more of a true lat blend?
Thanks guys, this is a start.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Cosmic, the latakia is barely noticeable, like barely a whisper. Also alot of the reviewers in spain agree that it has a perique like effect, which I tend to agree, even though there's no perique in the blend.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sounds like Just For Him - Golden Cashmere blended by Bob Schafer might do the trick.

Comes in bulk at around $36 a pound.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Don't worry cosmic, I've only got 2 pounds of it so far ;) My lips are sealed

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Sunday picnic is in my top 5 tobaccos. I have yet to find anything like it in bulk or otherwise. The oriental silk is nice but not at all similar. It is much more spicy than the SP. Cairo is the only blend I've ever smoked that made me sick to my stomach. You may want to try some of the Mcclellans grand orientals. The only one I've tried is the Black Sea Sokhoum but I am going to order the other ones in my next TAD purchase.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Oh and why can't you get Sunday Picnic in bulk. It seems like one of their top sellers since it has been on backorder every time Ive tried to order it recently.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
20 tons is plenty. I assume that you have a welder, too. 4" structural square tube makes a great plug mold. Make sure that the bottom is removable, or you will never get the plug out.
As soon as I get a free day, I'm going to weld one up

Cool, keep an eye out on ebay for a Bonnie Doon press. They come up for sale occasionally for a very very reasonable price. They are 20 ton presses, very small, and compact. Mine is very versatile for all sorts of applications. You may find one cheap enough to make a nice tobacco toy out of it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'll keep a "saved search" going on that Michael, thanks. For now, I'm going to use my 30-ton log splitter, and possibly get a Harbor Freight press. There's a 20% off coupon right now, so I might stop in there this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.