PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Good Afternoon! I've been looking around quite a bit and I've tried out about a dozen blends of various tobaccos (all non-aromatics) and I find that I have a hard time smoking just about any of them for any great length of time. I have the Dunhill Elizabethan, EMP, and Nightcap, Frog Morton's Cellar, C&D Star of the East and Billy Bud all currently in stock but I am not finding quite what I am looking for in them.
I LOVE the Dunhill mixes and Frog Morton's Cellar but I'm mostly looking for something I can sit on my deck in my lazy chair, read or watch the traffic go buy and smoke for several hours at a whack and not have to scrape my tongue with a trowel afterword or have a 5 gallon bucket to puke in.
Again, I'm looking for a non aromatic but sweet with enough complexities that I still enjoy it after so much time with it. Thanks a bunch for helping out!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Every tobacco you name is a good blend. What is it you don't like about them? Maybe something without the latakia. The sweetest blend I smoke is probably McConnell's Glen Piper. It has a bit of cavendish in it, so it has the old timey sweet pipey smell, and a nice virginia underneath.

mixki-942-600x448.jpg

Alternatively, if you don't mind going lakeland, Gawith Hoggarth Rum flake is a nice sweet, relaxing smoke.

ben-0913-600x448.jpg

If those are failures, the Golden Mixture is a nice mild straight virginia ribbon. It might burn quicker than the flake but it has a nice mild, warm, tobacco flavor, sans latakia.

l-and-co-600x448.jpg

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I was recently turned on to Two Friends English Chocolate by a few members here. Might be just what you're looking for.
For a more naturally sweet smoke, try Dunhill Royal Yacht.
For a Virginia with a little more sweet, try Orlik Golden Sliced.
For even more sweet, there's always Erinmore Flake or Peterson's University Flake.
Sallow: I'm going to check out that Glen Piper. Thanks.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Thanks a bunch for the recommendations! Its not that I dont LIKE them, as I said, I loved the Elizabethan and Frog Mortons Cellar. I guess I'm just looking for something a bit lighter and sweeter...? This is a bit hard for me to define because of my inexperience. I guess I'm just going for a bit sweet, mild-medium and semi-complex that wont completely kick my ass after smoking for a couple hours. Frog Mortons Cellar has been the closest to that for me but after a bowl or two it still seems to make me hang up the pipe... Maybe its just the new-ness of this but I smoked Cigars for the past 5 or so years and I had certain sticks that I could do that with. Sorry for being a pain!
As a side note I do like burley, virginia and perique tobaccos though I havent experienced the Orientals yet.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Man, I don't think I've smoked a non-aro any sweeter or mellower(I think that's a word) than Frog Morton Cellar! Anyhow, Carter Hall is a good one, or if you like Va's, McClelland Deep Hollow is a nice one. I don't usually like Va's, but when I smoked Deep Hollow I almost thought it was an aro! It does have sow unsweetened cavendish in it, so that may explain some of it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
@ Perique - I think the Glen Piper is a very unique blend. It isn't exactly an aro, but it has a nice sweetness and a good strength, and still tastes like tobacco. I'm always relaxed after a bowl of this. The note in the tin is very old school pipey sweet, I can't really explain it but one whiff and you could see what I mean. Whenever I pop a tin it seems to disappear quickly.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
+1 to Roth's suggestion of McClelland Blackwoods Flake. To my palate, its the sweetest Virginia I've smoked. Complex? No. But very satisfyingly sweet, doesn't bite me....

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I was just going to suggest Virginia No. 1, just had my first bowl the other day and just like that I think I've found a tobacco to go into permanent rotation.

~Ron

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ok I know the perfect blend for you. You need to try McClelland's Yenidje Highlander. The stuff is fantastic and it has this natural sweetness about it. Just dynamite with a small amount of Latakia in it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second Orlik Golden Slice and also recommend Cup O Joes #5. Both have complexity in a subtle

seemingly simple blend.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sweet on the fruity side of the spectrum: Haddo's Delight

If you generally smoke natural, non-aromatic blends, then you will like the way Newminster No.80 Norway Pipe Cut reminds one of cotton candy and berries.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I like English oriental alot, it's sweet, plus complex, it has the qualities of a complex all day smoke. Plus it's like 35$ a pound. Newminister I've tried not the peter stokkebye, I don't know if there's much difference in them.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Virginia #1 was going to be my suggestion as well. I tried it, did bit a bit, let it sit in a mason jar for 6 months and came back to it when my technique was better and it is a great naturally sweet smoke that is smooth and satisfying.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I find McClelland's Virginia offerings to be some of the sweetest tobaccos on the market. Check out the Christmas Cheer, or the bulk options like the FM2000, Classic 2010 or Va/Per 2015. All varying degrees of sweetness and complexity.
Enjoy the search :)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
A new tobacco to me that I've really been enjoying is McClelland's Navy Cavendish. Very naturally sweet and pleasant, no bite or tongue fatigue. I wouldn't call it complex, but it's always satisfying.
Also, Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. Also very little bite, and the cavendish center adds some nice sweetness.

Status
Not open for further replies.