PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Being a fairly new pipe smoker (Sept. 15th 2012) I started with Peterson aromatics as they are easily available here. I have since been trying new tobaccos as much as my budget will allow and have found that I really like Mick McQuaid plug, Peterson Nutty Cut, and Macbaren 7 seas regular. I'm currently smoking my first bowl of Dunhill Deluxe Navy rolls and feel like I have found my favourite tobacco yet and see myself going in between Mick McQuaid and the Navy Rolls on a frequent basis. I have a tin of Vanilla Cream flake waiting to be opened at the moment, and would like to maybe find another blend with perique in it to try sometime soon as I'm really digging the spicy note. Bear in mind I only really have Dunhill and Petersons readily available and can order a few GL Pease and Samuel Gwaith tobaccos online (which I don't mind doing, but would like something that I can walk to the shop for if possible. Thanks in advance.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Based on what you've said, I would recommend Escudo if you can get it.
If not, and you have access to GLP blends, try Telegraph Hill to get some perique. For something completely different, with perique, try Haddo's Delight.
I'm not a big English smoker, but Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe and Mixture 965 are both excellent choices and worth a try.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm a big fan of the From Morton stuff. So with that said the frog Morton on the Bayou is a really nice Perique blend and it normally runs no more than $10.00 for 50 grams, it can be ordered online and more good tobacco shops will carry it.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Hey chopsie from your list of available blends, am I right in thinking your from the uk like me?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Hey Chopsie.
You've already gotten some great suggestions on tins so I'll toss out a bulk idea.
If they're available try Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulleye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake. LBF tends to be grassier to me while LNF is fruitier. I also notice the Perique more in LBF. In my opinion the LNF smokes better then the LBF without any age on it. (Haven't aged them yet)

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Oh cool. Only a boat ride away then lol

Do you buy off the Internet? If so try gauntleys of Nottingham. My fav store and my fav blend ATM is their bayou blend.

Just re read your post and see you want a walk in deal. Sorry I can't help you there.

Glynn who blends their baki does a YouTube channel and their blends are reviewed on YouTube.

I buy all mine online as the only choice I have is tesco and they sell st Bruno, clan, gold block or benson and hedges vaginia. None of which I enjoy

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I've been buying from gauntleys for a while now, great service I must say, was just wondering if any of the peterson blends with perique in them were any good really. Their Picante Americana is very tasty from what I remember of the 5gm sample they sent me.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
I'm quite new to pipes mate so my opinion is little on the educated side. I don't know about peterson blends but Gauntleys Bayou is without doubt a perique lol 16% in fact but I love it! Also private blend 17 sweet English. That's very nice for an English with perique. As for tinned, squadron leader I like also j.f. Germain 1820.
I'm gonna try and pm you with a suggestion

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For a Peterson Perique I've heard Irish Oak is pretty good. Also, I'd have to say I'm an aromatic smoker but, I enjoyed McClelland's Frog Morton On the Bayou a lot. Another good one is Robert McConnell's Scottich Cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.