Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysail

Might Stick Around
Sep 16, 2012
Looking to buy a tin of something strong. What have you smoked that you think is strong?

Thanks!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You mean high nicotine? From what I hear, if you want to be knocked on your kiester,try something like SG Brown #4 Twist. Bulk only.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
The only blend so far to make my blood pressure race a bit has been Hermit Tobacco's Ten Russians. It's your stereotypical lat-bomb.
I haven't tried Five Brothers before but it is said to have ultra-high nicotine.

skysail

Might Stick Around
Sep 16, 2012
Thanks. I have another separate question. Not too long ago, someone on this forum mentioned a company that sold tobacco but I can't remember the name or find the post. They have 13 different blends and I remember seeing them offer sampler of all 13, or five. From what I remember they are located in Montana maybe. Anyone know who I'm trying to get at?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Just For Him sells sampler packs
http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_341]
EDIT: but none of those are going to be very strong... but I believe this was one of the sites that was mentioned not too long ago in one of the threads

skysail

Might Stick Around
Sep 16, 2012
That's it flyfishn. Thanks a lot.

I'll read some reviews and pick one of these tobaccos out soon.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yeah high nicotine, full flavor.
The thing you will discover is that the various mixtures that are full flavored tend not to be high nicotine. Latakia has lots of flavor, but is lower in nicotine than burleys or virginias. And the latter tobaccos have less flavor than lat.

Ten Russians,for example, has lots of flavor, but less nic than something like Irish Flake. Irish Flake has a nice flavor, but it's much subtler than Ten Russians.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Opinions differ on what "full flavored" means. Personally, I feel that it's determined by how "strong" a blend tastes (not the nicotine strength), by how bold it is on the palate, etc. As others have said, latakia can make a blend taste "full" while not adding much nicotine. But it's not a strictly inverse relationship, meaning that it's not necessarily true that bold flavored blends are low in nicotine or vice versa.
Old Joe Krantz and Bosun Cut Plug are both, to my taste buds, as full-flavored (bold, assertive, what-have-you) as Odyssey or Ten Russians, yet both of them are chock full of Vitamin N. On the other hand, blends like Frog Morton and Three Oaks Syrian have plenty of latakia yet are very mild tasting. Also, Nightcap and Sextant are latakia mixtures with plenty of nicotine. Also, keep in mind how very subjective this whole question is. Jud, for instance, feels that Irish Flake is a more "subtle" blend than 10 Russians. I respectfully disagree with him -- I consider them to be equally "full" and in no way subtle. But that's just my opinion.
Basically, I'd research a lot of blends on TR and look for those that are consistently rated as being "strong." I'd agree that most of the suggestions you've heard mentioned in this thread are strong ones (with the exception, perhaps, of Squadron Leader, which I find to be notably mild).
If you want some full-flavored, nicotine-rich blends I would personally recommend any of the following: Dark Flake, Coniston Cut Plug, Five Brothers, Jack Knife Plug, Old Joe Krantz, Irish Flake, 1792, Nightcap, Sextant, GH Balkan Mixture, and Redwood (just to name a few). But again -- this is a very subjective exercise, and I'm sure there are plenty of smokers who would disagree.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I've tried some of the Gawith Hoggarth Rope tobacco and it was pretty strong, Even though it was, Coconut, Black Cherry and Rum, the flavorings did very little to lessen the strength of the tobacco.
Click 4 Rope Tobacco

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
these all seem to be great suggestions for strong pipe tobacs. looks like you have some very good choices here sir. i currently have some dark flake scented,and kendal flake. i find both of these strong.
mike.

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012

Bracken Flake

Irish Flake

GH Sweet Rum Twist

SG Black XX

Five Brothers

H&H Steamroller

C&D OJK

Tambolaka