PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Hey guys and gals, i'm on the hunt for a good oriental with some Latakia in the mix. Now I know that Lat is technically an oriental, but that is beside the point. I have tried a few heavy orientals; such as Skiff Mixture and Frog Morton Across the Pond. I was thinking about trying some of the McClellands Green tins, but there are just so many and few reviews of them. I'm open to any suggestions, and will follow up my own review research (just so I know what Im in for). Thanks in advance for the help! :puffy:

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I recently bought my first tin of McClelland's "Grand Orientals" series. Each blend highlights a different strain of oriental leaf. I've not cracked the tin yet, so I can't comment on flavor, but it seems like a great way to explore orientals.
If your looking for oriental blends with latakia, you could start with the big hitters in the "Balkan blend" category - H&H Black House, Blue Mountain, PS Balkan Supreme, Balkan Sobranie, Balkan Sasieni, Presbyterian Mixture, etc.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
A good McClelland blend with heavy orientals and Latakia would be the Yendjie Highlander from their grand oriental series. It uses both Syrian and Cyprian Latakia. A truely wonderful smoke!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Anything being labelled Balkan should have hefty doses of Latakia and Orientals. If you are looking for a more Oriental forward blend with less Latakia I recommend Dunhill's London Mixture. If you want lots of both Latakia and Orientals then I recommend H&H's Black House.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the reccomendations guys. That McClelland with two types of Latakia and Yendjie sounds good, Northerneil.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I have to echo the praise for McClelland's Yenidje Highlander. It's one of my favorites, and it is, I believe, the only one in the Grand Orientals series that includes latakia.
I think Pease's Charing Cross is his most oriental-forward Balkan -- and they are quite acrid orientals, so you'll get a much different experience than you will with the Yenidje Highlander or with something containing large amounts of Basma, for example. (Basma can be very sweet; Yenide seems to strike a a very nice middle-ground between the sweet and the acrid/bitter.)
Presbyterian Mixture is a wonderful oriental blend, but the jury is out on whether or not it contains latakia. Some say yes; some say no. (And because "oriental" could apply to latakia as well, the company's description is no help in the matter.) If you're curious, give it a try for yourself. Regardless of the latakia element, it's a fine smoke.
As for the McC green-label tins, I've only tried Oriental #6. According to my notes from 2010 -- and it was a 2002 tin I was smoking -- it's an oriental/VA blend. If there's any latakia in it at all, I didn't comment on it in my notes. . . which makes me think there isn't any in the blend. For what it's worth, though, I found the tin very enjoyable and rich. (But some of that may have been due to 8 years of cellaring...)

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I'm smoking Oriental#1 now, indoors, shhh. Very mild, almost unnoticable amount of lat. I wouldn't know where to start with recs. The grand orientals are where I go for my fav type of tabac, sans lat.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Rattray's Red Rapparee is a good one, very edgy, perhaps the classic Oriental forward blend. McClellands Samovar is phenomenal, one of my favorites from that house, the Orientals and Syrian Latakia are blissful. Lane LEO is one where the Orientals hit me just right, though it is definitely not the heavyweight contender. GLPease's Caravan is a great Balkan with some wonderful Orientals. Peretti's Tashkent is an extremely Oriental forward blend of great renown. It has been so long since I have had it, it's memory is gone, and I am about to order a pound to get reacquainted.
I heartily suggest you also delve into the McClelland Grand Oriental line. Getting to smoke the different varietals with only Virginia, no Latakia clouding the flavor, helped me zero in on the full scope of that varietals tastes.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Rattray's Red Rapparee is a good one, very edgy, perhaps the classic Oriental forward blend."
True, and a great blend. But as I recall, there is no latakia in it.
Bob

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There are a lot of great Latakia forward blends out there. All the things described above and more are excellent. Now, having said that, I like a more subtle Latakia experience, and submit Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. The Latakia is there, but the other orientals round out the mixture more, for me, anyway.

I am also a big fan of Chief Catoonah' Princes Street Mixture and Lane's Leo, which is similar but different. Neither is, in my opinion, a Lat Bomb, but are nice, well rounded Latakia blends.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
My 2¢, GL Pease Meridian, McClelland Wilderness, or SHPC Great Hiatus. Three very different, very excellent blends that showcase VA's, Orientals, and Latakia quite nicely, IMHO. I love them all, you might too. :puffy:

latbomber

May 10, 2013
+1 on Dunhill London Mixture and GLP charing cross. Cornell and Diehl star of the east (ribbon and flake) are superb as well.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Great recommendations here. I have the honor of getting the first tins of Lane's Crown Achievement from LeonardW and it is a stellar blend of latakia/orientals and perique. Well worth the effort to get and a rewarding smoke. Most will not be disappointed.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
+1 Bosphorus Cruise and Plum Pudding
I'd add McClelland's Cyprian Mixture #2040.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I'm a huge fan of Plum Pudding, and I might suggest Smoker's Haven - Exotique Mixture. It was suggested to me because I like the Plum Pudding. I have yet to pop the tin so I can't say for sure if I like it, only that I "should" like it. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.