PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thextallxdude

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
I've recently acquired a new pipe, and would like to try something different. I usually smoke Captain Jack's, but as I'm new to the smoking world, I have no idea of what all is out there. I would really appreciate any suggestions as to what blends generally taste better.

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
Oh its an endless discussion. What do yhou want to get out of the smoking? What tastes do you like and how much nicotine do you prefere?

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Get ready brother, You are about to get all the advice you could ever want. Not from me, but from my brothers and sisters on this site.lol First we need to know what you are looking for in a smoke. If you are smoking Captain Black then you probably don't have issues with tongue burn or bite so your choices are almost limitless. I'd say a good beginners smoke(I'm still a beginner) is Lane 1Q. Its a good all around aromatic. Home & Hearth Anniversary Kake is a great beginners Vaper. If you want to try an English/Balkan blend try Peter Stokkeby Balkan Supreme. If you want a Virginia, try Park-Lane Connoisseurs Flake. You could also ask pipesandcigars.com to put a sampler together for you.Just a few suggestions. I'm sure the crew will fill in the blanks. Welcome to the forums. This is the best site on the net.

thextallxdude

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
I don't really smoke for nicotine, I'd like to smoke because I want to, not because I have to. My biggest problem with describing what I like is that I'm not all that familiar with the terminology, outside of bite. I guess something not too strong, so I can smoke it before a meal, or before bed, without having an aftertaste hours later. I don't mind an aftertaste, but I can get that From the Captain. so nothing overly overpowering, but with an interesting enough flavor that I can still enjoy it. I hope that helps to narrow it down.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I hope that helps to narrow it down.
Not much. :P Do you want to stick with aromatics,or are you planning on venturing further afield? Do you feel it necessary to stick with inexpensive blends, or are you willing to to pay a little more for premium tobacco?

thextallxdude

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
Well, eventually I would love to expand my horizons as far as possible, but for now, I don't have much to spend. (Teenager living on his own) if any premium bled is highly recommended though, I do not mind saving up for something.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Any of these Lane Limited tobaccos are good.
http://pipesandcigars.com/lanlimbultob.html
For a little more... I'd go straight for G.L.Pease Jackknife Plug. It's a bit of a nic monster but it's freaking delicious. It comes in a plug and ready rubbed. I'd get the plug. I smoke it by cutting off a cube and throwing it in a coffee bean grinder for a few quick pulses and it'll leave you with a bunch of flakes. Pefect for pouring into your pipe and lighting up.
http://pipesandcigars.com/glpease.html

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Spartan I don't think a guy who isn't into nicotine or strong tobacco will benefit from Jackknife Plug. That is quite a leap from Captain Black and IMO it would be offputting to a new pipe smoker... It is an extreme recommendation to say the least, lol.
I guess it is grey because the cavendish tobaccos are fire-cured...
Shawn gave some solid recommendations, I'd go that route.
Honestly, though, if you don't want an "aftertaste" then most blends (or tobacco) for that matter will have some lingering flavour so I don't know what to tell you there... Latakia blends will be a definite no since they have such a powerful character.

thextallxdude

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
I understand that there will be at least some aftertaste, but like with the Captains, I smoke, brush my teeth really well, then go to bed, but when I wake up it still tastes like I just finished the bowl, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I also don't mind strong tobacco, I'd just like to try something weaker... and upon rereading this message, and the whole thread for that matter, I seem like a rude person, and I apologize for that, I truly do appreciate your input, I just don't have very good computer etiquette, I guess.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
+1 Shawn622.
Definitely, DEFINITELY, get your hands on some 1Q. It's pretty cheap. If you have a local smoke shop, they probably carry it under a different name. Just ask for the Lane 1Q.
I'm really new to smoking as well, and this stuff is the best all-day smoke you can buy. Burns very cool, and has a mildly sweet taste to it. And with any tobacco, you will have a taste in your mouth. That's just part of smoking. My personal favorite smoke is Blue Note. But, I've been smoking some Peterson's Old Dublin as of late, and I'm very digging the Latakia.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
thextallxdude,
I don't think you need to apologize.
I know the type of aftertaste you are referring to but to be honest with you I still experience it after all of my cleaning measures so I don't know how to help you. I've seen threads where people discuss "tobacco mouth" and honestly it seems like an area where some people have more success than others. By trying other blends perhaps you will have better results.
1Q/RLP-6 are very very similar to Captain Black but with less flavouring or humectant. (additive to maintain moisture) So those recommendations are good. They are bulk versions and less expensive than CB so if you are short on money then they are a natural choice...
I will say though, and don't take offense, but statements such as "I also don't mind strong tobacco, I'd just like to try something weaker..." can be pretty confusing to people on the forum. Even though I *think* I understand you were talking about a weaker aftertaste/aromatic flavour from your previous posts, other people may have skimmed through the messages and wouldn't get what you are talking about... When people talk about strong and weak on pipe forums it is generally referring to nicotine so if you mean something else you're better off being specific. It's no big deal I just wanted to point that out so you will get some good answers.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
OK, you're on a limited budget. That helps.
You might want to explore some of the classic American blends, like Carter Hall or Prince Albert. They aren't as heavily cased as something like Captain Black is, and are pretty inexpensive as well.

thextallxdude

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
Thank you Sparroa, I'm still learning the terminology, so I appreciate you explaining things to me. Thanks for the suggestions too, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you too Judd, I'll look into those when I get the chance.

Jul 15, 2011
If you want to stay inexpensive and want something that is not all that strong in nic, Carter Hall can often be had for about $3 a pouch and is a great smoke. It's what I use to break in all my new pipes. Scottys Butternut Burley available from pipesandcigars.com is heavenly, and can be had for very cheap. I think I got about 4 ounces for a around $10. Great taste, no bite, fabulous aroma, easy burn, great stuff. Also, if you want to try a good variety, you can go with something like a Hearth and Home Bulk sampler from pipesandcigars.com as well. 6 blends, 2 ounces each for around $35 shipped. With all the choices they have, it will be easy to find something you like. If you email the guys at pipes and cigars and tell them the blends you like and what you don't like, they can put together a sampler that will suit you just fine. Also, Cornell and Diehl tins can be found at some online retailers for under $9 a pop, and they make some outstanding tobacco as well.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If on a budget it's good to look into the bulk blends. 1Q is a great aromatic and is available in bulk for around $25/lb. Also, Mac Baren's 7 Seas line is another good line of aromatics available around the same price as 1Q in bulk.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Tall dude,

Check your messages, link on the right hand side on the forum start page :)
I have an open jar of 1-q, MV-1000 and some other stuff...samples coming your way once I have your address.

Status
Not open for further replies.