PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Good evening fellow pipers. As I've stated in previous posts, I've just recently gotten back into pipe smokin in the last 6 months or so.
Over the previous years my cellar pretty much consisted of Borkum Riff Bourbon and various B&M Cavendish varieties.
Since getting back into things my cellar has grown heavy in...
Dunhill varieties. MM1965, BB1938, Morning Pipe, Nightcap, London Mixture, De Luxe Navy Rolls, Standard Mixture, Durbar, Dark Flake & Standard Mixture Mellow.
Frog Morton oritinal, FM Across the Pond
Esoterica Margate
Davidoff Scottish Mixture
SP Black Cavendish, SP Whiskey
Capn Black White, Gold & Cherry
Carter Hall
Various Aro's, State Fair, Fruit tart, Peach Cobler, Irish creme, English Cavendish, Lord Nelson, ZBC, Sangria, Merlot and others.
I enjoy all of the Dunhill's with MM 965 being my favorite
I really enjoy the Frog Morton's original
I enjoy the SP Black Cavendish
I really enjoy the Peach Cobbler
The thing I probably enjoy the most is a flavorful smoke (965, FM, BC, Peach cobbler) with less bite for me. I enjoy the Carter Hall but find it can bite worse than the others I've mentioned
So, with all of that being said, I'm looking to expand my horizons.
Thanks in advance
Dino

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
So many ways to go......
Bengal Slices for a very distinctive latakia blend, John Cotton's Smyrna for a great oriental blend, Black Frigate is a delicious rum latakia crumble cake, and Peter Stokkebye's LBF, LNF, and LTF

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
You might expand your horizons with one or a few of these burley blends....
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Burley+Based&Rating=Highly+Recommended&ReviewCount=100

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks Pagan & Curl, and everyone else. I'll be readin up on these and look forward to givin em a try.

Dec 28, 2015
Looks to me like you are needing some Va blends.
SG FVF

F&T cut Va plug

Capstan Blue flake

OGS

etc.....

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I didn't notice any Virginia/Perique blends in your list. Russ Ouellette's Fire Storm is currently on sale at P&C.

It's highly rated, and you might find it to be among the more agreeable VaPers because it is a tad sweeter than most.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
For simplicity's sake I would recommend going through the Gawiths. Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth. They are two blending houses with a wide array of very fine tobaccos. SG's Full Virginia Flake is highly rated. They also have rope/twists, which are strong and flavorful as well as a great selection of flakes available in bulk. Some of the finest tobacco available today in my humble opinion. Happy Hunting! :puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
A couple of reco's that are flavorful, interesting, bite free and totally outside of your stable-
McClelland's Dark Star and Blackwood's Flake, both Va broken flakes built up from stoved leaf. Blackwood's adds some red, making it a broader taste experience, however Dark Star is a singular tobacco. My tasting notes mention cumin, which is weird...but wonderful.
S. Gawith 1792 flake. Heavy hitter on the nic scale, but an older fashioned blend does not exist. Strongly flavored of Tonquin. May ghost a pipe, don't know for sure.
Running out of time, I'm sure you'll get lot's of interesting suggestions.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
If you like Margate buy Smoker's Haven Exotique. It's even better. You'd probably love Magnum Opus as well.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As your palate deepens, many blends will become flavorful to you.
Experiment widely with small amounts.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks again all.
I'm puttin together a pretty large order (for me anyway) and have found several of these @ P&C.
Looking forward to tryin em out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like you are as ecclectic as I am, try these.

Black Frigate

Crooner

Autumn Evening

Balkan Blue

Devil's Holiday

Night Train

Ennerdale Flake

Old Dark Fired

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
If you like MM 965, you would love GLP Chelsea Morning and Low Country Cooper. Both are also medium English blends, but the broken flake and a few years of age will give you better and deeper flavors than the same age of 965, imo.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
H&H Marquee line is fantastic
The McC bulk flakes and PS Luxury Twist Flake are all great.
Also McClelland Yenidje Highlander is dyn O mite

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Wow guys!
This is the thread that keeps on givin!
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I'm takin notes and readin reviews.
Although I've got a shopin cart @ P&C stocked full, just waitin for me to pull the trigger, I think I'll wait until after I go to the 20th Annual Pipe & Tobacco Expo in Raleigh this comin Saturday. What I can't find there I'll order online.
Thanks again folks

Status
Not open for further replies.