Look what I found sleeping in the corner of a junk shop...!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
A Harcourt freehand plateau sitter! It needs a bit of a clean up, a ream, and a bath for the stem but I'm really pleased and only paid $30.

Harcourt is probably best known as the workshop behind Dunhill's freehands of the 1970s. The story goes that Dunhill, seeing market share eroding due to the incredible popularity of the "Danish Invasion" of freehands, chose Harcourt to create a new line of high-grade freehand Dunhills that mimicked the look and feel of those freehands but still possessed the quality and reputation of the Dunhill brand. The actual story - while not that far off - is that Harcourt was formed in a joint venture between Nording and Preben Holm, specifically at the request of Lane Limited, with the pipes destined mainly for the US market. Lane wanted to gain an even larger stranglehold on the Danish freehand craze in the USA and so the brand was born. Of course the close relationship between Lane and Dunhill made the Harcourt relationship almost a no-brainer - in the 1970s, the Dunhill/Harcourt relationship was established and the pipes were made in Preben's workshop. The Dunhill Harcourts were very specific high-grade pieces; the shapes were a bit more restrained than much of Preben's handmade freehands (probably at the request of Lane, who likely hoped for shapes that would appeal to a wider market) but the quality of the workmanship was usually top notch. The brand disappeared sometime in the early 1980s, I believe, as the Danish freehand craze died down a bit and more traditional pipes become popular again.
Anyone got one of these or can give me any more info? Any hints before I steam into a clean-up?! All input gratefully and humbly received.
Thanks,
Andy

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Ah crap - images from pipesmagazine.com album didn't work. I'll try again from somewhere else...

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
OMG. For $30? You hit paydirt. That's almost a once in a lifetime kind of find. And it still had the case. Congrats Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a great example of a freehand. I own only one freehand, a Johs, with nice grain and a pleasing sort

of gentle groove in the front of the bowl that extends down to a rounded cone at the bottom in what some

call a tomahawk style. I wouldn't want a whole rack of freehands, but I am very partial to this one. I also own

only one P-lip, on a Peterson Rhodesian Killarney 999. A good representative of each is what I needed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I meant to say, you have a superior junk shop in your parts. The only freehands I've located were in a nice,

somewhat high tone antique shop in upstate New York when I was traveling, and though the freehand pipes

were plentiful and well kept, the shapes and briar was pretty blah.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Cheers guys! Is now the time to confess that I've never restored a pipe before and that this will be my first?! Haha! No pressure. The thought of the reamer, bleach bath and alco-salt thing terrify me. Dab hand with a pipe-cleaner though so should be fine. YouTube is a wonderful thing!
Andy

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Well done. You never know what you will find in an antiques shop.
I have smoked a Dunhill freehand that was part of a multi day set, and I too noticed how "restrained" their version of a freehand looked.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Did you check the bottom of the pipe to see if PH is there? Preben signed those. Here's my Harcourt. I wish it was more restrained like yours. I'm not sure what he was thinking about when he did this but it is initialed.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Very exotic looking pipes guys.
Congrats on the rare find andystewart. I'd be a little more than nervous on the clean up, but I guess it's something every true piper must learn eventually.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Cheers guys! Is now the time to confess that I've never restored a pipe before and that this will be my first?! Haha! No pressure. The thought of the reamer, bleach bath and alco-salt thing terrify me
That doesn't look like it needs to be reamed, I'd just give it salt and alcohol and work on the stem and the first time you have to ream a pipe don't do it on such a great score. Personally I haven't reamed any of my estates as they haven't needed it, sometimes I don't even salt&alcohol them unless there's a ghost that's making a blend not taste like I know it should. The salt & alcohol will leave the cake fine and take the ghost away if there is one. I remember looking alot into pipe restoration and youtube as well and finally finding a site that stated don't ream the pipe if you don't need to.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Andy:
If you didn't hit a home run you at least buried a fast ball in the left field corner for a triple.
Your Harcourt - small pictures aside - looks to be a beauty. Congratulations!
Now, your chair leg mouthpiece with those damned fine lines, odd angles and round orbs can be a bitch kitty to polish. You might want to pay to have that done and, trust me, it would be money well spent. (I do all my sanding and polishing by hand and I've learned when to cut my losses.)
Like papipeguy, I'd love to know. Did you find a Preben Holm stamp or his initials?
You made a good get, pal.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.