PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I just saw this on ebay. It looks like the guy didn't know what to do when the cake became too thick towards the top, so he sawed it off!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAYWOODIE-DRINKLESS-TOBACCO-PIPE-Imported-Briar-Italy-/161129917437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2584176bfd
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It definitely looks like it has been sawed-off. The rim doesn't share the patina seen on the rest of the wood.

Rough way to turn a billiard into a pot! :lol:

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
It's really a shame. The stem looks like it's in excellent condition. The bowl is still useful for the fireplace.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
he does not want to sale any of them & he's going to build a display case for them & some other vintage items he collects.  I on the other hand don't care for them, I want them outta here!  I want him to build my closet organizer instead.  I've urged him to at least try, so he said that he will let me list them, but for only one week & whatever does not sale he'll then build the display.  URGHH   So please if you want one or more, please bid on them because they will probably only be on auction for one week(unless I can talk him into longer).

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Wonder if alcohol was used during that restoration? :D
Alcohol, and he/she sanded that bowl down while at sea, in 15' swells, with 100 grit sand paper and an emery board.
Poor thing.
-- Pat

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I am sure that it is not the first time it has been listed. I have seen it before. I just checked, and this is the 5th time it has been listed. I have Digby I tried to cut past a crack in the bowl and it ended up looking like this one.

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
There is a pipe in a local B&M that looks like someone did that but only took out the back half of the bowl leaving a windbreak or something on the front. The guy behind the counter that day was more of a cigar guy and didn't know why it was like that but said it was not broken.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
masterpython, there are Dunhills that have that style. I believe it's called a "driving pipe" or something like that...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That sounds like solid grounds for a divorce for me, telling the guy he has to get rid of grandpa's pipe collection.
As for the pipe, holy cow! That's like the Frankenstein's monster of pipes. Maybe if the new rim was sanded down and smoothed out it wouldn't look too bad. The entire bowl could use a stripping and re-staining.

Status
Not open for further replies.