PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipodiak

Lurker
Jun 22, 2019
After taking advantage of all your pipe guidance over the years, I finally signed up as a forum member. I suppose the first thing I want to do in introducing myself is to thank you all for creating such a treasure trove of information.
I've been smoking pipes irregularly for about ten years. I've taken much of your advice to heart in trying everything to find out what I like. So far, I don't have a favorite but I think that's mostly because I enjoy the experience of whatever blend I can get my hands on except maybe aromatics (I did give them another try based on a post a couple of months ago).
In any case, my current dilemma is I am procrastinating from writing my master's thesis. I'm searching for some tobaccos that I'm going to exclusively smoke while I write my thesis. I need some good recommendations that will really motivate me to start.
All the best!

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Welcome aboard. Don't know what blends you have on hand, but I'd be smoking a good vaper or virginia while I worked - if I were picking just one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd stop searching and sit down at the computer and get the outline done, while smoking whatever good English blend I had on hand....

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Welcome from Kentucky! What field are you getting your master's in?
I'd suggest an easygoing Burley blend, since you'll likely be smoking a couple bowls back to back while you work. Maybe a C&D offering like Haunted Bookshop or Three Friars.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ugh. I remember those days. Fantasizing about just giving up and living in my car. In those days I got through it by smoking something else, but I’d recommend a nice Vaper. Esoterica Dunbar or Rattrays Marlin Flake (or old gowrie would be great!) if you can find them. If not RO firestorm, GP-11, or Escudo for readily available options. I think this would be the appropriate shape:
ser-jacopo-600x403.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central N.C. Plough right into that thesis; what's the subject? A few false starts will give you as much information as months of research. On the final product, I'd hire a typist that does those things, who can catch any typos or formal glitches the department forbids.

ipodiak

Lurker
Jun 22, 2019
Many thanks for the warm welcome. I'm getting my masters in theology so I feel like I have to take the recommendation of three friars!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site from Florida.

Here are some readily available blends that I enjoy.

Capstan Blue Flake

Escudo

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

Solani 633 and 660 Silve Flake

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sparty has it right. But have you done your outline? Listed critical areas for further research (the thesis, NOT tobaccos!) Lined up a proof reader? Talked to your advisor?
~ Dutch Uncle John

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome, ipod'! Glad to have you with us. :)
My choices, somewhat dependent on where you are:
Black Frigate

3 Nuns (any of the blends)

Chimney Smoke (a house blend from Gatlinburlier in TN. Per their site, "black Toasted Cavendish with vanilla and a touch of maple. Cut big enough to burn cool. Dry enough to stay lit.") To me, it's my go-to for a day-to-day blend. I really do love it. Available online here: https://gatlinburlier.com/index.cgi?token=1561469364&cc=&dplate=tobacco.plt&base=tobacco.csv&query=all&rankedby=custom&page=pipetobacco.htm
G'luck to you on not just getting started, but not running into any brick walls in the process! :) BTW, I'm a huge (260 lbs) Jimmy Buffett fan, which doesn't have any real bearing on anything, except for the fact that I've always firmly believed there's a Bufett line for any situation. For this one it'd be: "And the walls that won't come down we can decorate or climb, or find some way to get around."
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.