PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I always thought that complex topics could be discussed on the forum, and though they can, those who post such run the risk of others' posts who have motives secondary to the topic at hand. In a recent post my views were misrepresented and derided by not just one patriarch but two. The motive was control.
So often posts are very short, I suppose as internet users have the attention span of a wren, but if you say nothing no one can gainsay your view. On the other hand as soon as you say something at greater length, and especially if you claim to know something, there will be someone, I think because of turf issues, who says you don't.
Perhaps lurking is the answer or having done with forums altogether.
It is my most fervent hope that the patriarchs have a blessed day.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I am a regular poster and article contributor to a 10th circle of hell bottom of the barrel movie review forum/site.

The guys on this site are bonafide saints compared to the forum members there. If you gave one of them your home adress they would probably mail you a dead cat.

This place is an online oasis.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
And, a topic like this where there is no correct answer is even better. Thanks for posting this Salt. As always, I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s opinions.
Yes!
Perhaps lurking is the answer or having done with forums altogether.
It is my most fervent hope that the patriarchs have a blessed day.
No!...

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
@saltedplug : I know the post that you said "my views were misrepresented and derided". To me, that was not a problem. But maybe the others just give you some warnings so that post didn't trigger anymore attention from someone that maybe insulted. So took it as a medicine that could save you :worship:
About posts in the forum, it's interesting to see many people to debate in a topic. We just need to make our own judgement from theirs. So, no problem taken. It's all just how we see things, is it okay or nay :).
About the other threads or topics here, sometimes I just browse to see funny comments and chaos there (and not for the information, hahaha). So lurking maybe fine. But, if you know something, it's better to share with all the wise people here.
Cheers saltedplug :clap:

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
@saltedplug I enjoy the threads you start and also your comments. Do not let a few negatives restrict you since there are many who enjoy the posts but do not respond so you may disproportionately be exposed to negative feedback by those who do post. Just my 2c worth.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@saltedplug - I enjoy your posts. I don't always agree with you, but I respect your smarts and the topics that you choose to bring up. PM is a more free wheeling environment than other fora. Some people handle freedom better than others. There is some ball busting that goes on here, but really, seriously, what does it matter what some virtual infant thinks? Keep on keeping on.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I think what's missing is an engineered statement that refutes the conundrum of brevity for the sake of rational didactic profligation.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think what's missing is an engineered statement that refutes the conundrum of brevity for the sake of rational didactic profligation.
Yes! It was profligate engineering that was always at the heart of the object's ascension. What engineering? You know. No, I don't. What engineering Can't say. So you say it's so important but won't say what it is? Right.
In fact some do say, and as they say substantively, some of the hot air of the term engineering is released. But I must disagree with the word "brevity" as there is nothing brief about the gazillions of references to engineering, over and over and over, by those who refer to its characteristics without a shred of meaning; yet "conundrum" hits as at the heart of engineering lies the mystery of those sublime smokes, that pipe smokers chase, that happen infrequently. Finally rationality is infrequent, never profligate.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
In a recent post my views were misrepresented and derided by not just one patriarch but two.
So what? F them if they cant have enough of an open mind
The motive was control.
I really doubt that. As far as I know the only one in control is the owner of the forum
if you say nothing no one can gainsay your view
But also, no one can learn anything they may not have known
Overall, this may sound a little glib but I would suggest some skin thickening ointment you can find around :)
As a wise old man once said "non carborundum illegetimi"
(don't let the bastards wear you down)

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
If you think the "engineering" discussion was contentious, you should check out my Mummert "art" thread from a couple of years ago. That was epic. :)
002-560-0158.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So often posts are very short, I suppose as internet users have the attention span of a wren
I'd be careful about assuming anything about your fellow forum members.
The nature of the beast is that people check in here as time allows. Sometimes, it's when I'm double checking the grocery list while in the produce aisle. Yesterday it was while watching the AC tech scratch his ass while pondering my compressors.
Often, by he time I read a longer thread, someone like Warren or Ashdigger has already made my point, and done it far better than I ever could have. And when I do have a quiet, contemplative moment, it is usually over a bowl and a beverage, and I'd much rather watch the nature show in my backyard than stare at the little screen and debate someone who may, or may not be one of Kevin's multiple personalities.
I do appreciate those of you who take the time to elucidate your cerebral wanderings. But if you are concerned that other people might not share your opinions, or just want to debate them, or feel compelled to enrage rather than engage, so be it. Question your own motives. Why are you posting here? Are you looking for confirmation? An attaboy? Consolation? Baseless sympathy? Those are the primary reasons that people post to antisocial media. I would hope that doesn't apply to PM quite as much.
So, right now I'm avoiding work, which gives me plenty of time to post here. I gotta cut this shit out and get back to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I'm a Forums bobblehead, but I thought the discussion on engineering (if that's the one we're talking about) was animated, somewhat contentious, but not ugly like much/most of the online discussion. One of the surest ways to get locked into disputes is in discussions of diction (word choice), so that was built into the "engineering" analysis. I thought your expertise was valued (by me and others, at least). The patriarch assertion (speaking of word choice) paints all of us seniors with a broad brush. Likewise, writing short is a courtesy, allowing that many Forums members are under some pressures with other commitments; we're doing our best, and cumulatively, I have a longer dissertation on here than most, all but a few. So, I'd encourage you to keep on with your good work, and laugh off the badgering, which comes with the predominantly fraternal (male) nature of this group. More women would keep us in line, but they're not here in numbers, speaking of patriarch problems.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Usually, "patriarch" is used in a positive mode, but here it seems somewhat pejorative.
Can you please do some 'splainin' here? Am I one of those? And is that good, bad or indifferent? (Just looking for some "attaboys"....)
And were PM's a part of this? Real patriarchs don't chide in PMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.