PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps27

Lurker
Oct 6, 2010
pstlpkr: ... haven't heard about a leather-clad pipe in a while. How about posting some pictures so we can Oooo and Ahhhh over it. It would be quite unique.
When I signed up not too long ago, I mentioned a Longchamp and pstlpkr asked to see it. I finally snapped a quick shot so here it is. Not too much to Oooo and Ahhh about, but it does have some charm and history, and actually smokes quite nicely.
Longchampweb.jpg

ps27

Lurker
Oct 6, 2010
Nothing really. Long story short, WWII Longchamp in France ended up with a bunch of pipes that were very popular with GIs. For one reason or another (some debate reasons), they ended up with a lot of pipes and a lot of leather. Someone came up with the idea of leathered pipes and they became very fashionable, again a lot due to US GI popularity. Longchamp eventually got out of the pipe business and stayed with the leather and today Longchamp is a hugely prestigious leather/bags/etc. house in Paris that sells really, really high class, expensive goods. No more pipes though.
It does feel good in its own way, and certainly insulates a hot pipe to the touch, whether that's a good or a bad thing. Some have said the leather covered shoddy briar, but after looking into things, I don't think that was usually the case. They got out of the whole pipe thing in the '70s, I think, though some companies have put out their own leathers since, including Savenilli, I believe.
Mine smokes very well. Has a fairly unique look and, like I said, a nice feel. As far as smoking-specific function, no, it doesn't really seem to serve a purpose.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
They kind of look like shift knobs to me. Not my style, but it is cool none the less.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
I love collecting Longchamps and really enjoy the few that I have. A LOT harder to collect this side of the pond I think. Many say that they were covered in leather because the briar was so shoddy after WWII. I've always thought this to be inaccurate. They just smoke too good. Here is one for sale with the leather removed. Looks pretty nice to me!
my longchamp

kgrhqnice2lmhnmhbnqoi4ft0_12-150x119.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I guess because it's a PITA to do a restoration on a leather clad pipe I don't own any. I have in the past and most were good smokers.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
In re: to leather pipes - I have also toyed with the idea of getting one - I saw a beautiful Ropp leather clad pipe that looked very cool with black leather and white baseball stitching.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I won this one a couple of weeks ago and just got around to cleaning it up. It had some major char issues on the rim and the leather was stained where it got wet or something. It isn't pristine, but I really like the short stubby bulldog shape and it smokes well.
Forgot to put the picture in. :)
LongchampBulldog01.jpg

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
"I won this one a couple of weeks ago"
That looks like one I was bidding on a couple of weeks ago....so you're the one that stole that :worship:

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I never used to like the leather pipes, always afraid of what was underneath the leather, but I've since changed my mind and now I want one.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
Very cool and unique. Great, now something else to add to my already extensive list of "pipes I want"!

warnerland

Lurker
Sep 22, 2013
Hello all!
I bought a Longchamp as a gift for my boyfriends birthday. It was an antique store find that could not be passed up. Unfortunately, it has a broken stem. I have been researching replacements and haven't been able to locate one. Do you have any advice? It measures 1/2" by 3 3/4" and is square at the base.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114372750489071817428/albums/5926655884531962529?authkey=CPzF9JCkstvZHA
Thanks!

Jess

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those leather clad pipes are beautiful to behold. They suggest wainscoted libraries and big winged arm chairs.

Love to see 'em. However, there's just something about having your hand wrapped around briar or cob that

makes life worthwhile. I love the way briar wears; it speaks to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.