PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I will try to describe some of my findings during my trip to London last month, with hopefully an illustration or two. Rather than one longish post, I will add to the thread.
The first and in a sense, most rewarding find was the St. James' Church market, where on some days you can find John Marshall in a stall towards the back, near the entrance to this historic but heavily bombed and repaired building. I think the photo captures the genial nature of Mr. Marshall, who has a few dozen pipes he's made himself. Very pleasant man, and at about $25 or less, hard to beat the price. I got a medium small sandblasted billiard, and have been smoking it almost daily ever since. (photo later; I am not too swift with Imgur, so we'll see if the first photo makes it all right.)
WvyFWlX.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm really glad you got to meet John. He is one of God's great people, free with his time and knowledge, I really admire his work. He usually has a couple of expensive pipes here and there, but he seem to care what or, even if you spend. He's just a people person.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I love both of my Millvilles (one estate that I got from a friend, and one I bought from John Marshall a few weeks ago). I also gave one to a friend who was curious about pipe smoking. Very good pipes, VERY good cost/benefit ration, and mr. Marshall is indeed a very pleasant guy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, and, for me, I really like buying pipes from the folk(s) that made them. Only other experience before this was in Montreal, at Blatter & Blatter.
Here's another of John. He's got a real sense of humor, too.
wTlMGBU.jpg

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
I don't suppose anyone knows how to get in touch with Mr. Marshall? He does not seem an email kind of chap. I find myself in the frustrating situation of having five hours to kill in London, a long layover, and I could make it to the market, but, alas, it will be a Sunday afternoon. Maybe I could buy Mr. Marshall nice pint and then he could sell me one of those pipes he keeps under the counter...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't know the hours he keeps, nor how to find out- as I recall, they are somewhat flexible! There may be a general number for the market, and someone there could ask for him.
When you in London? I will be there in a few weeks, and would be glad to inquire for you if you don't precede me there!

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Hi JPMCWjr. Thanks for the offer. I'm not going over until May so plenty of time. Can't believe that I'm getting that close and yet all seems to conspire to keep me from getting a pipe. (I think my wife would say that is divine intervention.) From what I can see online, St. James Market is closed Sundays. But...maybe...something. Very pleased to hear what you learn about Mr. Marshall's flexibility.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
Wow those pipes look really nice, I wish he was in America I want to buy one , the price is amazing

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sadly a lot of the 'old time'London tobacconist shops have gone the way of the steam train but if you search around there are a few gems still out there. If you ask Andy Stewart he can point you in the right direction.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, unfortunately, I confirmed that the whole market is closed on Sundays. Mr. Marshall still looking well and I had a short visit with him a month or so ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great pipe carver. His prize "workes" are right on the counter with the teddy bears. Talk about a grounded individual. I'd love to buy a pipe from him in person. That, and buying a pipe in person from Blatter & Blatter in Montreal, Leonard Cohen's home town. I went there for my sixtieth, on my own, as a widower, but missed the pipes. London's one of the world's few great walking (and subway) cities. Montreal's great for seeing on foot as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm afraid it's only Montreal for you now, as John Marshall has closed shop. The St. James' market is still fun, but has a big hole in it where Mr. Marshall had his stall.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
What a shame! I was reading this thread and was resolved to go to the market tomorrow (when I will be in London - I live on the outskirts and get into town every couple of weeks) - I would have been quite happy to look up Mr Marshall on all your behalfs. Mike

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
"You probably know that JJ Fox and Davidoff are in the same neighborhood. Both favorite stops of mine when in London."
Yes indeed - it's been a while since I've been on St James Street - I used to go more often when Dunhill had a shop there. These days, sadly, I mostly use online companies. There is a pretty decent tobacconist though in Leadenhall Market (which was used as Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter films) who sells a fairly large selection of good tobaccos, including Dunhill and SG tins. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.