PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I'm trying to decide which tin to crack this weekend. I have these two similar blends but I havn't tried either. What are the differences

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I prefer LM. A very complex and satisfying blend. I find that 965 starts off well but "dies" halfway down the bowl. Don't take my word too seriously though, because I've spent a lot more time with LM and experimented through all my pipes, whereas 965 I've only had a few times.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I cracked the 965. I really like it. It at first was very similar to EMP but more sour. Then became sweet about halfway thru from the cavendish. It reminds me of Presbyterian but a little sweeter. The Latakia is not over powering but just a condiment. Which is perfect. A little heavy on the nic but overall a very satisfying smoke.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I prefer 965 by a large margin. I've had a few "zen" smokes with 965. In the right pipe it can be fantastic.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I was wondering the same thing. I have and like 965 but have not tried LM. Have it but just haven't cracked the tin open. I assume the LM is not quite as sweet since there is no cavendish. Are LM and Standard Mixture similiar?

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
As our opinions were asked, I would trade the 965 for another tin of LM and not look back. But then that is me and my long term buddies already know my pet peeve about what Murrays and Orlik did to my favorite Alfred's 965. The current London Mixture is righteous though. :)

Aug 14, 2012
They are very different. The London is smooth, good for an all purpose smoke. The 965 is heavier tasting with lots of Latakia and Perique.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
What FoggyMountain said. These are *very* different blends. My strong preference lies with the London Mixture, especially with some age on it. The 965 just comes across as harsh -- but I don't enjoy higher-nicotine blends, which is how this one smokes for me.
And if you like the London Mixture, you should try GLPease's Westminster, which is Greg's tribute to the Dunhill-made original London Mixture. (Although, to be honest, I think you could smoke the current LM and Westminster side by side and never know that they were supposed to have any connection with one another. I think they're quite different blends as well.)
Bob

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I fell in love with 965 then immediately went out of town and left the top off. Ruined. Good thing I'm going to be an attorney and not a brain surgeon...

London mixture is next on the "to try" list...

Aug 14, 2012
To rehydrate put the open tin in a humidor or other somewhat air tight container. You can put a little open glass of water next to it. Or a wet piece of sponge. Check and mix every 24 hours until it has the amount of moisture you want.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Both mixtures have their places, but 965 (Murray's, someday Orlik, maybe) leads the taste for richness in a mixture. Of course, YMMV.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Agree with most guys on here, can't go wrong with either one. I tend to prefer the 965. One of my top go-to smokes when I'm not in the mood to try something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.