PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogpie

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
Hi,

I stumbled across a pipe whilst having a clear out. It is a bent stem pipe in a case which says Loewe and co 62 haymarket. It has a silver hallmarked band and a silver bowl rim. I cannot find any info or pics of any similar pipe despite looking at Google images. As far as I can tell, the hallmarks are Loewe and co, the initials RD. Along the left side of the band are 3 stamps, a lion, a leopard head and the letter k. I think from looking on the web it is 1905. Any info you guys could give would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Could be '05 or '25, but either way sounds like a fantastic pipe. Congrats on the find.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Would love to see some pictures, sounds like a fine old English pipe! For London hallmarks, which is what you have, see here,
http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarks.html
and also, with regards to the RD mark, here,
http://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYTOBACCONISTR.html

mogpie

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
Thanks guys. Would like to post pics, but in my ignorance am not sure how to, as I don't have a Url address for them.
And according to the link Dave, it's definately 1905. The link to the RD page shows a quite similar pipe, but mine is Amber coloured with sikver bowl rim. The case is also similar, but black wood with a cream coloured inside. Thanks again for the info

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Would like to post pics, but in my ignorance am not sure how to, as I don't have a Url address for them.
I find it easiest to upload them from your computer, it's a few steps, but once you get used to it, it's easy. See the third post in this thread,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/instructions-for-posting-pictures

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The 1905 date sounds more likely in any case, given the silver on the rim. Hope you are able to post pics at some point -- many of us are especially fond of British pipes from that era and always enjoy seeing new, unseen examples.

mogpie

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
image1-150x112.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's a gourd calabash -- I wondered as much when you mentioned the silver rim and "amber" color. Beautiful example. Thanks for posting the pic.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here is the best Loewe dating guide, by member Cake & Dottle.

Silver Haymarket era pipes do date no later than 1920, per Mike's Loewe page.

http://cakeanddottle.com/pipe-rack/2-dating-loewe-pipes

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
What a fetching old Calabash, from the heyday of its type and still with case, great find!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It looks like you're posting the thumbnails of your uploaded images. To post the actual image please do the following:
1. Click on the thumbnail to open the page for that image.

2. Holding done the control key if on a Mac, or right clicking if on a PC, click on the full sized image to bring up a pop up menu and select "copy image location".

3. Go to this thread in the forum and select "IMG" from the menu above the reply window.

4. Paste the image location that you copied into the dialog box and click OK. The location will appear in the reply window with IMG one either side of it.

5. Send post

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm really starting to love the older pipes, with their cases, bone and amber stems; well-seasoned meerschaum; and the weight of mystery and use from a pipe used by unknown smokers with their transient joys and cares.
I'm going to get a few, but you have to wait for the right one. It'd be such a rush to smoke a pipe a century old!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's quite a nice find! Judging from the color of the gourd. it's been lightly smoked. The sterling cap looks undented, which is really rare. The only issue is the oxidation on the stem, which is causing the orange tint. That can easily be removed and should be as it will only continue to get worse. Congratulations on finding such a fine pipe!

If you decide to restore it, I recommend sending it to a pro, as cleaning meerschaum, which is the material that makes up the chamber, is a more delicate process than cleaning briar. Meerschaum and alcohol are not a good combination except for brief encounters.

Status
Not open for further replies.