PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Went to the nearest large mall to get a gift for our church's angel tree (gifts for kids) to discover that the Sears store where I've shopped on and off for forty years is in the process of closing. The sign said "40 to 70 percent off, nothing held back," and not much left I might add. I've been reading about Sears' decline for years, but it was a whole new reality when I walked into those vast empty rooms. In the rest of the mall, many stores were already featuring post-Christmas discounts. Santa sat in his cordoned off area alone. Make of it what you will, my local Sears will be closed for New Years Day. Jay Leno used to say, if you wanted to be somewhere where you could be alone with your thoughtsf, go to Sears.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
The Sears in my neighborhood was one of the first to close a few years ago..Most everything in the mall is gone now.I doubt that it will be open much longer.The K Mart in my home town is gone as well.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Serves 'em right for putting all those Mom-and-Pop general stores out of business with their fancy-pants catalog back in the 1890s.
I'm actually kidding in a curmudgeonly kind of way. I hate to see an American icon pass as much as the next guy, but you have to admit, the parallels are pretty ironic.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
In the 60's Sears, JC Penney's and Montgomery Wards were the top three stores my mother would take us for back-to-school clothes. It's only a matter of time before JC Penney's shuts down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sears downward trend pre-dated Amazon I think, maybe even pre-dated Walmart. When I enjoyed shopping there in the 1980's, it was partly because it was so uncrowded. But the history was auspicious. Minorities could buy on an equal playing field and not be handed the sub-par stuff the local merchants would hand them. Rural families could buy goods that weren't available in their areas. Sears sold kits for whole houses, unloaded at your nearest rail depot. I still have two silk sports jackets I bought there decades ago that are still in wearable shape and not bad looking. My wife remembers growing up in remote rural Missouri, and the Sears catalog was a bridge to the bigger world; she'd study the catalog on her stomach on the floor.

Jan 8, 2013
I boycotted Sears years ago. At one time, I believe they once were a great company to shop with, and I did many times, but in the last 10 to 15 years, their customer service went the way of the dodo.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
When one expands out of their base of knowledge and expertise, failure will soon follow. Add that to an inability, perhaps unwillingness, to secure great directors, throw in the terrible investment strategy and you have a failed business.
It's a survival of the fittest and they couldn't keep up. They got lost in the woods, ended up crippled by age and smugness, and the wolves tracked them down. They couldn't even find a suitor to bail them out by the time they realized they were in serious trouble. Suicide by inertia!
My sympathies go out to career employees who are in deep trouble at a time they should be looking forward to a nice retirement.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I came up they were a kind of dynasty. They built the world's tallest skyscraper and dominated retail. It's hard to believe they are gone. But that was the 60s, the middle decade of what was billed as the American century but which ended after 30 years. Our nation is so changed that that time seems like a dream.
Political comment deleted/Al

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Avarice is as avarice does. But I am tired of people equating making a profit with greed. (Comment deleted/Al) Bad news. In before the lock!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like Warren said, "It's a survival of the fittest and they couldn't keep up." They had plenty of time to see the potential of online merchandizing, but they didn't seize the day -- unlike the founders who exploited the mail order sales format in the previous century. Trump is right (again), they are/were a poorly managed business. Too bad so many livelihoods are disrupted.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yup, profit is good as it allows owners and stockholders to feed their families. Sometimes there isn't a lot of profit, employees and creditors are paid first, what's left over goes to the owners. Granted some are more driven than others, smarter than others and, a few are greedy but. often the small business owner makes less than his employees. I'm a Packer owner, one insignificant share, and I make a heck of a lot less than most of my employees!
High paid CEO's and such, when they are good, make monies distributed to shareholders. When they are bad ... well ... then you have Sears closing their doors and putting a bunch of working stiffs out in the cold trying to make ends meet for their families. The narrow, negative view of commerce does a disservice to to all involved, CEO, stocker, driver, clerk, teller, etc.
Comment Deleted/Al
Where the hell is the damned lock!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Political comments deleted, lets please not veer off course.
My Sears closed over a year ago, I thought they were all gone. As a young boy , getting the Christmas Wish Book was like a dream come true, particularly when we were stationed overseas and that was my connection with American culture.
When we were first married in 1980, we regularly shopped at Sears for clothes. Most importantly, I started building my Craftsman tool set and continually added to it over the decades. Lowes and Kmart still sell Craftsman tools, but have no where near the selection any Sears would have carried. I didn't break many things, but the lifetime warranty kept me as a customer. Sure, Snap-On and Mac both offered slightly better finished tools, but Craftsman had the same functionality. Perhaps a bit like a Dunhill vs. GBD pipe? Fortunately, I have every handtool that I'll ever need and hopefully one day they get passed to a grandson (or daughter?). That aspect of losing Sears still makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.