PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
So one of my favorite B&Ms in Switzerland closed this month as the proprietor retired. Unlike many B&Ms which have a small selection of pipes and tobacco, his was pipe smoking shop with just a tiny humidor of cigars in the back. Along with over 80 bulk blends (many from G&H) he also was the only place locally I could get Pease, C&D, and Friborg and Treyer blends. He will continue to offer tobaccos online so I have that option, but I will really miss my monthly visits to his shop--it always gave me an excuse to go downtown. He struggled with English but spoke it much better than my German, so we would talk tobacco by pointing at tins and using Google translate. When I would drop in with my son he always had a piece of candy for him and sometimes offered me a sample or two of a new blend; in fact, I returned the favor by offering him samples not available in Switzerland such as Black House. I'm happy for his retirement but gutted since I'll really miss visiting his shop.
On my last visit there he was offering a number of pipes at a steep discount. I was able to purchase three Savinellis (one of which I asked about on the forum a few weeks ago). I got a Seta rusticated 412 KS, a Venere smooth 670 KS, and an Ontario rusticated 812--all three for $200 total. In addition to being a great deal, more importantly I'll also have a few mementos from his shop. My son, who will get my pipes when I've shuffled off this mortal coil, already calls these the "Pipe Shop Pipes" so I'm glad he'll have that memory as well. Here's a pic--will look forward to smoking them for a long time to come.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/pipefish/album/picture/19252

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks, Philo--just the other day I needed a haircut and my barbershop is located near this pipe shop. I thought, "cool, after my haircut I'll drop by the....aww man!" This happened a few weeks ago and I'm not over it yet. My wife, of course, thinks I'm crazy.
Oh, and I finally remembered how to post a photo!
img_3010-600x450.jpg

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
Great European Photos. Those old time Tobacco Shops would be well received in my Town.
Jon :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A sad story. We'll see more of this as the old guard retires with no one to take over the business. I guess the happy ending here is you got some great pipes and fond memories.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As life gets harder in the tobacco business, there are even smaller chances of selling these businesses to a younger generation, or getting financing. The Savinellis are a good commemoration of this fine old store. I guess some will carry on for a while online. Maybe that's the wave of the future for specialty items like pipe and pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.