PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I should really start this tale of pure stupidity about six months back. One of the local tobacconists was looking to exand their business, but had reached the limits of what their almost-new, very well appointed location could realistically support. They had figured out ways around the restrictive advertising laws, and even a way to sell bulk blends (which is next to impossible for new shops to get licenced for), and were rapidly becoming a "go-to" B&M east of the city of Vancouver. Of course, being in the province of British Columbia, there is no smoking in the shop itself, but they had built a nice little covered and heated gazebo for patrons, complete with "serve yourself" coffee and muffins. Business was good, and when an opportunity came up to lease two store-fronts in the next strip-mall down, they jumped at it. Although some would call it a questionable move to open a franchise within two blocks of the main-shop, they pulled it off - or, more properly, managed to break even on the venture. Granted, the smaller location was more of a head-shop than a true tobacconist, but you could still buy a good selection of decent cigars, quality pipes, and an excellent selection of the lineups of both Brigham Enterprises and Scandinavian Tobacco Co. (Canada); as well as a few select tins of European blends.
Fast foward to December 1st. The proprietors of the second location receive a letter from the owners of the strip mall it is in. It seems the other shops and restaurants in the complex have started to complain about the smell of stale smoke (keep in mind that there is no smoking in B.C. businesses...) that pervades their space. They had started to complain about the clientelle gathering in the parking lot to smoke their purchases; yet the tobacconist was located in the corner unit, with it's own, separate parking lot. They had started to complain about "kids buying tobacco there"; or at least the possiblity thereof. They had, generally, started to complain.

Well, rather then fight with neighbours over a location that was just breaking even, the shop owners decided to close down. As I drove past yesterday morning, I noticed a new business hanging Grand Opening banners - a hookah lounge. This has, it seems, been given the thumbs-up by both the owner of the strip-mall, and the other shops. And yes, you will be able to smoke inside - however only tobacco free shisha blends are allowed under the exemption (although I see that the NSRA [Non-Smokers Rights Assn] is now fighting that in both BC and Ontario, as well).
Buf for the time being, I can't help but wonder how the neighbouring restaurant is going to feel about stale grape-flavoured PG sweating through the walls? :crazy:

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Say what?
6387180489_1ef0f915af.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Stupid... they should have stayed and fought.
That's like saying, "I can smell starbucks from all the way over here... I better complain about it."
Sissies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It's interesting that the Hookah Lounge got a pass. I have read many accounts in the news of Hookah Lounges being under just as much scrutiny as regular tobacconists and cigar lounges.

Jul 15, 2011
I have read many accounts in the news of Hookah Lounges being under just as much scrutiny as regular tobacconists and cigar lounges.
I dont know what the deal is with hookah lounges, but theyre popping up left and right in the Midwest as well. In the city of Bloomington, about 40 minutes from here, there is one true B&M who carries a broad range of pipes, tobaccos, and accessories, and they do a fair amount of business, but it seems like every 6 months there is a new hookah lounge that opens up near the college and threatens to put them out of business. Talking to all the younger crowd that comes into the gas station, apparently, hookahs are all the rage around here. I dont get it.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Richardson, TX, downtown main street: 5 hookah lounges.
The two tobacconists still in existence in the whole city are struggling...

[rant] darn youth would rather put chemical fruit-flavored crud in their mouths/lungs than some good honest tobacco [/rant]

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I enjoy a hookah every now and then. At least I did before I started smoking my pipe more seriously. Haven't had one in about a year. I'd be interested to see if I still enjoy them.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I have nothing against hookah, heck, I even enjoy the occassional bowl (although I prefer the "real" tobacco shisha to the herbal/chemical crap). I am just baffled at how:
a) A hookah bar is acceptable in a province that doesn't allow smoking indoors, and yet any corrospondance I've had with my MLA around exceptions for tobacconists ala Washington State has been met with nothing short of incredulity; and...
b) How the hookah lounge was a "good alternative" for a neighbour; when the other tenants were already griping about the smell of cigars (being smoked outdoors, a hundred odd paces from the enterance to the next shop).

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have nothing against hookah, heck, I even enjoy the occassional bowl (although I prefer the "real" tobacco shisha to the herbal/chemical crap). I am just baffled at how:
a) A hookah bar is acceptable in a province that doesn't allow smoking indoors, and yet any corrospondance I've had with my MLA around exceptions for tobacconists ala Washington State has been met with nothing short of incredulity; and...
b) How the hookah lounge was a "good alternative" for a neighbour; when the other tenants were already griping about the smell of cigars (being smoked outdoors, a hundred odd paces from the enterance to the next shop).
My guess is it would be considered politically incorrect to come down on the hookah lounges since hookah's are primarily connected with an ethnic minority in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.