List and Pictures for Acrylic Stem Stock?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Does anyone know of a good source to view pictures of acrylic stem stock? I have recently become attracted to clear, mottled, turtle shell type stems of the "see through" kind. I would like to view pictures of what is available to artisans, such that if and when I commission a pipe I could have something to show them of what I want in my stem. Of course I have been looking at pictures of pipes, but about 1 out of 100 is anything like what I am looking for. I thought this might be a short cut to success ;)
Any help is greatly appreciated folks!

Reactions: Valliantpiper
May 31, 2012
Pipe Makers Emporium has a lot of lucite (acrylic) rod stock, as well as stem blanks...
http://www.pipemakers.org/

May 31, 2012
WARNING!
:!:
DO NOT LOOK AT THIS THREAD!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stem-material-variations

DO NOT CLICK THE LINK!
:!:​

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
:rofl: yes yes yes.. thank you thank you Minister! You are a hoot man!
YES! That's it!! It was on Pecks post. Of course! The one I'm not supposed to look at! LOL

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
You can also find really interesting options from knife-making supply companies. Jantz and masecraft come to mind.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
You can also find really interesting options from knife-making supply companies. Jantz and masecraft come to mind.
Yes, and I've dealt with them for years when it was Koval before they became known as Jantz when I used to make handmade custom knives years ago However, that material is not conducive for stems as it does not come in rod stock except for some of the pen blanks which is obviously too small. Even then, I seriously doubt that a pipe maker is going to bother with turning a stem from their block material when there is so much rod stock already readily available and easily obtainable from pipe making suppliers. Even then, some of that material, albeit beautiful, could be poisonous for use as stem material.

May 31, 2012
This thread is pretty informative reading too,

Kashmir did alot of research on various material...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fancy-lucite-stems
There's also a rarely seen material called Tuskanite:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rad-davis-tuskanite-best-stem-material
:puffy:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
However, that material is not conducive for stems as it does not come in rod stock except for some of the pen blanks which is obviously too small.
I use a lot of different pen blanks for stem material. They are usually 3/4" square which is big enough for most stems. Also they're available in about a million colors and patterns.
Check out what Penn State Industries or Exotic Blanks has to offer.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
ejames, thanks for those links. It looks like these are excellent resources for stem options.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I use a lot of different pen blanks for stem material. They are usually 3/4" square which is big enough for most stems. Also they're available in about a million colors and patterns.
Check out what Penn State Industries or Exotic Blanks has to offer.
Yes, when I come to think of it even though there is a multitude of rod stock available to make pipe stems there are times when some stem designs when one must be able to turn one out of square stock.
I think I was more in the realm of thinking, and or the concern about the choice of material that is available/conducive which should not be used as many can be toxic, or at least cause some caution. Many woods and synthetic materials, albeit beautiful, should never be used for a stem. Some that could possibly be of concern are: Alder, Ash, Beech, Birch, Bubinga, Ebony, Maple, and there are others albeit most of them would not be considered for making a stem. Then of course there are some synthetic materials which abound and would not, in my mind are safe. One that immediately comes to mind and that I’ve used extensively for making knife handles would be MIcarta which comes in a multitude of various designs and is quite beautiful. However, it is made of phenolic resin which contains phenol and is considered to be quite toxic to humans via oral exposure. I’ve worked with a multitude of exotic woods and synthetic materials, but I’ve always worn a respirator while doing so. Just because some material is beautiful and available (pen blanks) and seems like the ideal answer to making that ‘special’ stem one should step back and take extra caution. All that ‘glitters’ is not safe is all that I’m trying to say. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.