PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Last night I was packing a bowl in my Stanwell brushed black poker, when I checked the draw I thought it was too tight so I dumped it out to start over. While empty I puffed on the pipe a couple of times and it was still really tight, what I discovered was that the draft hole was almost completely clogged with lint from my pipe cleaners. Has this ever happened to you? It was clogged wear the mortise for a filter meets the draft hole, I didn't have a filter in. Could this be the problem?
I use the regular BJ Long pipe cleaners.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You always have lint from cleaners after cleaning, how do I say this clear the stem by blowing thru before reinserting, rub tendon on nose for that good nose oil, then clear the whole pipe again.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Nature of the beast my friend. I mantain my pipe on a regular basis with a comesurately sized drill bit in a large pin vise by hand. Give me a few mins, just got in from work and I'll post a pic.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Here you go:

001_zpsf73a2983.jpg

and I purchased that pin vise from Micro-Mark:
http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=pin+vise
Scroll down, sixth one "heavy duty".

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A little lint is standard after using a pipe cleaner. With only one pipe did it make me trade it in. It was a beautifully trim

bent Dublin with a slender stem, but the thing retained lint like velcro. It really drove me nuts. Finally, the appearance of

the pipe couldn't make up for the annoyance. I have two other pipes of the brand that do just fine, so I won't bad mouth

the brand, but with trim pipes drilled narrow, it can spoil the engineering of the pipe altogether.

Mar 1, 2014
I always blow through the shank to get rid of the last few bits of dottle, I assume that should keep any fuzz from building up too.

That would be a lot of fuzz to actually block the draft hole.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I tend the tap the pipe against my palm and the knock the dottle into the ash tray. I have a very nice set of 'Pipe Keys' made by 'Woodsroad' that work like a treat for blocked stems in any size. The mans a damned genius what can I say!

Mar 1, 2014
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=137711
If all else fails I'm pretty sure one of these would take care of just about any blockage.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I also use BJ Long pipe cleaners, I find it more of a "fuzz" problem when using a cob. After a smoke I use the pick tool and do a quick swirl, shake with my thumb blocking the top to distribute ash and aid in cake buildup, dump out the remains, and lastly blow through the pipe. Make sure you run a pipe cleaner through first though or you will blow any moisture straight into the bowl and have a nice goopy mess at the bottom.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I usually run the BJ Long cleaners between my thumb and forefinger before inserting it into the pipe. The extra fuzz falls off for the most part, although I do get a few extra fuzzies here and there. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.