PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My local tobacconist just found a buch of boxes of old Canadian Made 5 Dot Brighams in the back, and has them on sale for $75 a piece. I went and looked at the selection yesterday, but nothing grabbed me. Now that I have had some time to reflect, I feel I should grab one or two if for no other reason than because you can no longer find unsmoked, Canadian made Brighams.
What do you guys think? Should I invest a little money and buy one of these rare pipes?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I had one or two back in the 70s. I believe Eaton's department store sold them. Nice smoking pipes as I recall.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Damnyak, not at all. Epicure on Stephen Ave in DownTown Calgary has about 12 in stock.
My only issue with the pipes is they all have that half rustucation, half smooth finish. I'm not a huge fan of that look personally.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Well to far for me! Thanks though!
I know what you mean. That was a popular style....perhaps the "Trypis years" we should call them!? As I notice that he what a big fan of that style.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That was a popular style....perhaps the "Trypis years" we should call them!? As I notice that he what a big fan of that style.
I think you're spot on here Yak. Trypis' hallmark rustication style, and the semi-smooth/semi-rusticated pipes are hallmarks of his own and his Brigham pipes. I also wonder if this is a function of the Graecian briar that he and Brigham were using; or perhaps the grade of briar?
-- Pat

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Neil, a 5 dot Canadian made Brigham for $75 is a fantastic deal. Look at the prices online for new 5 dots and they're well over $100. Factor in the additional aging of the briar and I think you'll be in for a fantastic pipe for not a lot of money.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Damn!! If I was in Calgary I would for sure pick one up!! I really want to find a Brigham Bulldog. Do they state "Made in Canada" on them?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Some do, some do not. But they are all made in Canada for sure.

I remeber seeing an Brigham Acadian Bulldog on Smokingpipes a while back. I know they do still make the shape.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Kind of disappointed.... Looked up the store and emailed them about the pipes. Got a one word reply "indeed". Emailed them asking if they deal online or just in the store. Another one word reply "Sort". Asked what "Sort" meant and got nothing. Emails came from Jason Holt, Cuban Cigar Manager.

Now I would love to pick up 2 or 3 Canadian made Brighams but I hate giving money to rude people and in my mind one word answers are not how you should respond to paying customers. Zigarren on Macloud trail will continue to be the shop I frequent when I come to town.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That is unfortunate BlueEye, Jason is a really good guy, but not very tech savy. I'm heading there after work, I will talk with the other guy who is actually incharge of this "sale" and see if they would be willing to take some online orders. If they are, I will PM you the details.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I love those old Brighams too. Wouldn't mind getting one of those myself, but it's a long way to Canada from the bayou.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
northernneil, I think you want one or two of these. If you just can't cotton to any in particular, I'd go for the

most traditional shape(s). These are more likely to grow on you than something more unusual, if it isn't

something that grabs you.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Well, I did it!!! I picked up one the 5 Dot Made in Canada Brigham's. I got the only fully smooth finish they had. All the rest have the bowl partially rusticated. While I was picking up the one pipe, I broke down and purchased a Chacom Sandblasted Zulu that I have had my eye on for a while.
I would post pictures of my two new pipes, but my computer just crashed and I cannot figure out how to post on my phone. Nonetheless, as soon as I get access to a computer, I'll post some pics!!!!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Neil! Well done! :clap:
What shape did you pick up? Bent? Straight? What are you loading into it to break it in?
Glad you got on this. That's a damn good deal.
-- Pat

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Thanks Pat, I got the 562, which to my eyes is a prince with the rings around the bowl like a rhodesian.
Not sure what I am going to use to break it in. Right now I'm smoking the Chacom with some 2007 McClelland Classic Samsun. Let me just say "wonderful"

Status
Not open for further replies.