Lighters - Peterson vs Corona Accord or Old Boy

(26 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by withnail
  • Latest reply from boudreaux
  1. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Birthday is rolling round and my step daughter said she'd either buy me a pipe lighter or put a certain amount towards one if I go for something outside her budget. I've narrowed the choice down to three and wondered which you guys would go for?

Choices are -

Peterson - nice styling and seems to get good reviews for a medium range price. Large gas tank as no pipe tools.

Corona Old Boy - the classic but rather expensive and I've read that the spring that holds the cap close can be a problem after a couple of years. Comes with tamper and a well known/trusted brand.

Corona Accord - a slightly more modern look and reviewers seem happy. Priced midway between the other two. Plenty of choice of finish available.

What would you get and why?

Cheers

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. sergemoat

sergemoat

Login to Send PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Tsubota makes the mechanisms for the Peterson lighters. I have a Tsubota Pearl Eddie and am very satisfied. I havent used an old boy but I hear the tampers are easily misplaced. I decided on the Tsubota after reading this article on A Passion for Pipes. Only issue I've had with the pearl is the "T" pin that the cap pivots over broke/fell out. I e-mailed Tsubota who responded within the day and they sent me two within a week.

Hope this helps!

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know anything about the last one, but I have three old boys and one Peterson. I love them all. The Peterson is, in my view, extremely well constructed and seems as solid as the Old Boys and, in fact, I find myself using it more than the old boys, not because it's "better" but because it seems to hold much more butane than an OB and is easier to fill since you don't have to screw around getting that little cap off to get at the filling mechanism like you do with an OB. Note, however, that I don't use the built in tamper in my OBs, so I don't miss it in the Peterson.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. lumberjakpipester

lumberjakpipester

Login to Send PM

I prefer the esthetics of the Peterson myself, or for a similar price(a bit cheaper on ebay actually) the Tsubota BOLBO. I shall obtain one very soon(Hope my wife got the hint for fathers day!).

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the feedback. It looks like the Peterson is doing well so far. Especially when you consider the prices -

Peterson ~£50 - ~$76
    Accord £75 - $114
    Old Boy £140 - $212

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

chubbster

Login to Send PM

Whoa!

Where are those prices? If you order from 4noggins, I believe you can get an old boy for less than a hundred bucks. Just a thought.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The UK I'm afraid. I'm not sure why the Old Boy is so expensive here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can only speak for the IM Corona Old Boy because it is the only lighter I own. I do, however, speak very highly of the IM Corona Old Boy. I picked a chrome pinstripe up last year for under $100.00 at Cupojoes I think.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Withnail, at those prices choosing the Peterson is a no brainer in my view. I bought my Peterson in Dublin at a similar price (it was my first pipe lighter) and it has served me well.

One thing to consider - maintenance. At least in North America, if an OB breaks, they will fix it free or very cheaply.

Not sure about the Peterson.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm heavily leaning towards the Peterson. I'm not sure where it would have to be sent if it needs repair. Hopefully Dublin as that isn't far away.

Just to show the stupid price the Old Boy retails for here -

http://www.eacarey.co.uk/shop/corona-old-boy-lighter.html

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. 4noggins

4noggins

Login to Send PM

One thing to consider is the warranty.

Old Boy - 2 Years
    Peterson - 5 Years

From what I've seen and heard, I would lean toward the Peterson.

Rich
    4noggins.com

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking of picking up an Old Boy style light and have been debating with myself between the Peterson and Corona. I'll probably end up picking up one of each though in the end lol.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in Ohin3's boat. I own a Corona Old Boy and as you would expect, I think its an outstanding lighter. Having said that, I have heard nothing but good reviews about the Peterson. They are both high quality lighters that will serve you well. It really comes down to which is more aesthetically pleasing to you and how much you're willing to spend.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

One thing no one's mentioned -- if using the lighter outdoors is important to you, keep in mind that the Old Boy does not do well at all outdoors -- keeping it lit in a slight breeze is an issue.

The Bolbo (same manufacturer) apparently has a better 2-jet lighting mechanism and is said to be the same lighter as the Pearl Eddie, but without the tools and thus has a bigger fuel tank as well.

No idea how the Peterson works outdoors though.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ive been somewhat on a lighter kick recently and picked up a Lotus, Colibri, Old Boy, Tsubota Perl Eddy, 4 zippos, and a few others. My Old Boy and Tsubota are my go to lighters now. I think they're amazing and you can't go wrong. That said, my Colibri is off the charts too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

chubbster

Login to Send PM

Why not order from 4noggins and have them ship international? They carry old boys if I remember right. Also, the tsubota pearls are fabulous and have a lifetime warranty. Just something to consider.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a thought Chubbster - It would probably still be around $100 cheaper including International delivery. I don't understand why the Old so over prices here. I could understand it a bit more if they were made in USA, but they come from Japan don't they?

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

chubbster

Login to Send PM

Exactly. And it should get to you in about a week. Also check at pipe2smoke for a tsubota pearl, he is in Canada and hips international at a good rate.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got Corona Old Boys and the Tsubota Bolbo. I've had problems with both. My old boys leaked, and the cap column on my Tsubota has come loose and swivels!?! Really disappointed. I use Zippos and Bic lighters. Or large wooden safety matches now.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

chubbster

Login to Send PM

Kashmir,

You are the first problem I have heard of with that pearl. Not saying you are wrong, but I thought thy would hold up. Guess not.

I personally use a brixard and co, much like the old boy, ran me about $110, and I use it to this day. My local BM had some spots welded back on and seals replaced for free last year.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On my Tsubota Bolbo the chrome column that hold the cap that goes over the gas port rotates 360 degrees. I took off the top to see if it could be screwed or tightened, and bam its just soldered on, and the solder seal has broken. Real cheap. It's less than a year old and I'm trying to see about sending it in for repair. Over the years I've had six Corona Old Boys. Four leaked after several years use and had to be sent back to be fixed. I'm back to Bic lighters now.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

I know this isn't asking th especific question asked, but I got a Tycoon pipe lighter (much cheaper than the ones you mentioned) a few months back and its still holding up, bar the problem with the spring in th eflint chamber not holding shorter pieces of flint strong enough for a reliable light. Its no good in the wind, but seems to function fine. I don't know about cost differences; but I would personally go for a peterson lighter if I was looking into spending more on one than I already have; but as I'm writing this I'm happy with my "old boy copy".

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. sajgre

sajgre

Login to Send PM

What I LOVE about corona is a tamper. I think Peterson is great lighter but I couldn't live without tamper.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. guhrillastile

guhrillastile

Login to Send PM

Jmo but the old boys just feel right. But over the years I have had better luck takin the same budget to an antique shop and just finding a good quality old style lighter for 40-60 bucks. It's the feel that I decide with. Looks naturally contributed heavily. But I have to consciously put effort into NOT winding up with cool looking lighters....you know, the ones that really just look great, just never really felt right so they sit in their boxes. Its no exaggeration I must have half dozen fancy pants monogram lighters sitting in their respective boxes. just got another calibri from a friend from last Christmas. Wouldn't of even thought of it till reading this thread. It's great looking. Good quality. And works wonderfully...but sits in its box nonetheless.

I'm not trying to pigeon walk into over internal analysis of a simple question of tastes from the masses. But it really is a personal thing. Weight, feel, smell, aggressiveness of striker grit. Right or left handed ect. They are the differences between opening your wallet and paying, heck even a couple hundred quid is easily worth it for YOUR lighter when compared to settling on some other popular choice... usually several times. you get my drift I'm sure.

Take your time. Don't be shy to feel them. Empty your pocket so you don't potentially scratch a display but put them in your pocket. In and out. You will find some fit you better than others. Ok. My ocd is at it again and I'm blabbing.

Good luck with whatever you decide. All three mentioned are great goto choices.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. jimbo44

jimbo44

Login to Send PM

My experience with the Peterson, which I have praised on other forums, is that now, after 15 months daily use, the flint wheel/striker held by a screw and the flint tube support have both come loose and on taking off the top they are just fixed simply into very thin metal as Kasmir describes; also the lift arm has started to round at the point where the spring contacts it and the lighter is no longer gas tight.

Back to Old Boys for me (where the only problem I had was weak leaf springs - and I've now got some spares).

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sure there must be a reason for this, but I see that lighter style has changed since my former foray into pipe smoking back in the 70s.

I had a simple but comfortable and effective pipe lighter then. The shape was not box-like, as are the Peterson and Old Boy lighters that seem to be preferred types. It was a slender cylinder with a screw in tamper at the bottom, and it had a speing loaded lever along one side to start the gas. Always worked just fine for me in the several years that I used it. (Missing now, along with old pipe collection)

Why would the designers go to a big box-like design? The cylinder was much less clumsy to hold and to use,IMO.

Are there any good pipe lighters made these days that have a cylinder shape or am I asking for the Model A Ford to be brought back into production? I looked at an online vendor that has hundreds of styles, some of which are cylinder-shaped, but at those prices, my guess is that they won't last too long.

--boudreaux
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mau1, judcasper, scloyd, johnbarleycorn, warren, trouttimes, anthonyrosenthal74, jerardpaul, shind0, brian64, ashdigger, alialansari, redglow, haparnold, hoppes, andromeda, jaytex969, sierrarecluse, timt, morgansteele, maxsmoke, mikethompson, axeltwenties, agnosticpipe, piratepiper, spider61, eltice, sablebrush52, ben88, bazungu, canucklehead, chasingembers, recluse, vorgath, carolinachurchwarden