Lighten Up - Heaven Hill Bourbon - Any Good?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
9 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
18 Fresh Brebbia Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Time gentlemen methinks to 'lighten up' on the forum! lol
My son - the one who just got a JOB! - brought me back a bottle of 'Heaven Hill' Bourbon from when he was on a legal internship in East Kentucky in the summer. I know some of you partake of Bourbon with your pipe.
This stuff he gave me, called Evan Williams 23yr old, is it good? - how would you rate it against a single malt??

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
To me, no bourbon compares to single malts, but the Evan Williams stuff isn't bad. I've only had their standard black label, but it's a really good bourbon for the price. I'm sure their higher end stuff is pretty good.

If you like it, there's a plethora of other bourbons to try. My favorites so far are Bulleit, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve, though there are dozens upon dozens of others.

One thing I will say regarding bourbon and Scotch-it is much cheaper to get a quality bourbon than a quality single malt.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks erich - anything to keep away from "pipebabes"! lol. I am a malt/port man, with 40 years of malt-drinking experience. Your points are good - I will not look a gift horse in the mouth and shall drink it with gusto!
Anything in it? A drop of water, perhaps? LOL

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Bourbon and single-malt scotch tend to have very different flavor profiles due to the primary ingredients in each spirit being corn and malted barley respectively. Even within each family of spirits, there are significant variations in flavor. With that in mind, and speaking in very general terms, bourbon tends to be sweeter than scotch. Having said that, the Evan Williams 23 year old will likely have some very woody notes due to the significant time in barrel - which may come across as a dry astringency (or prickliness in the mouth) and perhaps a bit more spice than sweetness. Most bourbons are aged for far less time, so the 23 year old is rare. I think you will enjoy it.
Most would say drink it neat, but I personally add one ice cube...
Cheers!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If its 90 proof or under I recommend neat. Stronger could call for water. I start thinking of adding a bit around the 110 area, but I've had a 120 neat and enjoyed it, so it depends on the whisky. I never use ice, but it is more popular with bourbons and ryes than scotch.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
Im a big fan of Evan Williams and really enjoy their single barrel...which can usually be had at a very decent price for a single barrel product. Ive never had the 23 year bourbon, but I'd say you were a very lucky man to have it in hand. I imagine it is going to come off as very oaky and spicey but mellow at the same time. Id try it neat with just a splash of cool spring water.
To qualify as a Straight Bourbon, it must age in a new white oak barrel for a minimum of 2 years. After that 2 years it may be aged in any barrel the master distiller prefers to use. Some have been using sherry or port wine barrels.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the bourbon after you taste...please post back.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I'm a big fan of Evan Williams bourbon. I've not tried the 23 year old, however. I would not drink it if I were you, it could have gone bad over time. Ship it to me and I'll sample it for you and let you know what I think. :rofl: :mrgreen:

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@werdna, ha ha!! I'll try it with my son on his birthday in March - it may be even worse then!! LOL

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If you want to try a few bourbons between now and then, it may help with appreciating an aged one. Also, since they're cheap compared to single malts, you may find something you really like that's an affordable "everyday" whisky, or at least something you don't hesitate to offer to guests!

Status
Not open for further replies.