PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Machado,
I use 190-proof EverClear soaked pipe cleaners on my pipes. I'll usually run the cleaners through the pipe until the they come out clean, then swab the mortise and bowl with a paper towel. Since the alcohol will be dry within minutes after use, I often smoke the pipe again the next day. But, there have been times that I've refilled the pipe and smoked it just a few hours after the cleaning.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Alcohol will dry up fairly quickly, so I don't know about waiting a few days. The water rinse method and the coffee grounds methods on the other hand, yes.
Did you ever find out what that cleaning solution was?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use only hot water and when I towel dry the chamber I can smoke it right away, though generally I just grab another pipe.
Drying the pipe for days is indicated when there's moisture in the bowl immediately following a smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it really worth it? What's the chemistry behind it?

Thank you.
Mostly to let any residual flavor from the alcohol fade though on estates I use moonshine and enjoy the flavor. The alcohol itself will dry in a couple of hours and the pipe can be smoked shortly after cleaning.
I use only hot water and when I towel dry the chamber I can smoke it right away, though generally I just grab another pipe.
This thread is about resting a pipe after cleaning with alcohol, not your personal preferences.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I use vodka to deep clean my pipes. I usually clean them at night and smoke them the next morning with no issues.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Alcohol will dry up fairly quickly, so I don't know about waiting a few days. The water rinse method and the coffee grounds methods on the other hand, yes.
Did you ever find out what that cleaning solution was?
I will find out Friday when she comes here.
But since then I've used the salt and alcohol method twice (I don't know if it's advised) and the taste has never been the same as before (when there was a nice layer of cake formed).
Somehow tobacco tastes much better in my older Imbuia pipe which has some cake. I wonder if this is what's making the difference or not.

Jan 8, 2013
I use 151 rum to clean my pipes. I don't worry about resting for a number of days after that. I only try to rest my pipes for at least 24 hours between smokes if I so decide I want to smoke the same pipe again in that time period.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I use 151 rum to clean my pipes. I don't worry about resting for a number of days after that. I only try to rest my pipes for at least 24 hours between smokes if I so decide I want to smoke the same pipe again in that time period.
How often do you do the rum method?
Do you also remove the cake previously?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I've once used Jack Daniels (because it's cheap and I don't like to drink it) and when I smoked it tasted like... Jack Daniel's.
Damn terrible.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I smoke the same pipe several times a day, unless I smoke a tobacco that leaves a lot of moisture. I clean with a hot water rinse, and can smoke it almost immediately.

Jan 8, 2013
How often do you do the rum method?
Do you also remove the cake previously?
Only after the pipe has been smoked several times. Every smoke, I clean out the airway very well with pipe cleaners, and twist a paper towel into the bowl. It prevents cake buildup.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"I've once used Jack Daniels (because it's cheap and I don't like to drink it) and when I smoked it tasted like... Jack Daniel's.
Damn terrible."
Try Galliano.

Status
Not open for further replies.