PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
We have not had a tamper trade in about a year. I would like to start one, therefore I am making the following rules:

1. Make a tamper and post a picture on this topic. Also describe the materials and anthing else interesting about it.

2. Then exchange ends on Monday 9/17. I will publish a list of participants and each person will send their tamper to the person below them. The package should be sent by the end of the week.
This trade is open to all skill levels. You don't need a shop full of tools. Just make something that is fun to look at and feel and will press ash down. It can be made of any material.
Also I encourage people to send a aample of a tobacco blend that you enjoy along with the tamper.
The person who gets my tamper can choose any of the five I made today. Spalted mystery wood, crab apple, crotch walnut, a dark curly maple, or crotch yellow mystery wood.
Tampers.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Me too. I have blanks for about 5 of then I haven't bothered to finish. I believe you and Irish already have one of my tampers, so you may want to put someone else after me, though.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Baron, check out the wall of wood blanks at the back of my shop. I have no idea how many wood species I have in this stack. I probably have hundreds of blanks for making pens or tampers. Today was finally cool enough to play with wood, rather than hide inside with the AC.
SmokingArea.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Dang I just picked up a stick at work and started carving while I was standing around at work. I'd like to see another tamper swap take off.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Winton do you have an cocobolo? I would love to make a tamper out of that. Some of the most beautiful wood I've ever seen.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Im in, I like the bullet idea, so that prolly what I have to offer... would dress it up ofcourse,,,

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I might have one I could trade that I've made out of drift wood and a shell casing. I upload a pic when I get back in town Friday.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Photoman, I don't have cocobolo. A quick google search shows the going rate is $25 per board ft (1" x 6" x 24" or 144 cubic inches). Lovely wood though. I have admired it many times, but the price always scares me. There are so many great woods available for much less. All the woods in the picture above were picked up from local trees after storms, except the walnut. I grabbed a truck load of walnut cutoffs from a sawmill for $10. If you are really interested, PM me.
Winton

Jul 12, 2011
I'm in, I have a nice dried block of Holy I have been wondering

what to do with :) also have some crazy orange acrylics hang'in around
So my design idea...I Hop ;-)

Older style billy club shaped handle-end

On the tamp-end perhaps a band of Orange acrylic with a briar button Tamp-end

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Great idea indeed! Sadly I lack the resources or the creativity needed to participate haha but if I happen to see one that I simply cannot live without than I shall make one.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
No artistic talent here at all :'( I was the kid that when told to draw something, the other person never could guess what it was supposed to be. The last time I drew something was supposed to be a turtle but someone leaned over and said, "hey, great picture of a ghost!" She was trying really hard to be nice!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I'm sorry Winton I kind of phrased my statement wrong. I actually don't have a lathe. I was trying to hint you should make some. I would love to make one but don't have the right equipment. Walnut is goreous too but my dad got a bunch of free walnut for me that is drying out right now. Should be ready in a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.