PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been thinking about adding one of these to my collection, before I go hunting for one, I would appreciate some feed back from people who own them.
Are they similar to old British pipes? I would only buy a fishtail stem as the other one that I cannot remember the name of, I really dislike. I also have no interest in a system pipe, those sound really disgusting with that well that contains nasty wet nicotine juice. Are the fishtail stems comfortable, are they made of vulcanite. Does the vulcanite oxidize very fast? These are the things I need to know.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a couple, but mainly for historical interest -- one says "Made in Eire," the other is marked "Irish Free State." Both have P-lip stems. Regular/fishtail stems are pretty rare on older Petersons (honestly, I don't recall having ever seen one from before the 1940s), so good luck finding one of those. Either way, Petersons aren't known for having particularly thin, comfortable stems and yes, some of them do oxidize fairly easily. Besides that, even the older pipes have fills from time to time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
billkay, I do have a stem fetish so having a new stem made is something I would think about.
pitch, sounds like you are not impressed with you pete's. P-Lip, I couldn't remember that for the life of me. I really hate those and it sounds like they are very rare. I thank you for your honest appraisal. Fills don't bother me as I am only interested in how the pipe smokes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have several, most have vulcanite p-lips. The stems will oxidize, about the same rate as a Dunhill. I have one fish-tale stemmed pre-Republic. Since trying a vulcanite p-lip stem, they've become my preference. My older Petersons smoke on par with Dunillls or Comoys of a similar era.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
FYI, the COM stamp does not guarantee a Peterson being pre-republic. I know someone who is researching this and visited the Pete factory. He said they still have all the old stamps around. O myself had a Pete with pre-republic nomenclature, that had a silver band hallmarked to 1973. If I really wanted an old Pete, it would be a Peterson Patent(very early 1900s) or one with hallmarked sterling silver.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Acutally some of the older shape were larger (aka bloated). The pre-Republic 999 is a good example. That particular shape changed dramatically over the years.
999 Sterling w/Made in Ireland COM (round)45-47 date estimate

999 Deluxe w/Made in Ireland COM (Staightline) estimate 1922-1938 production

999 Rocky Donegal from 1961 era, the shape had slimmed down considerably and remains in this profile today.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Al, please check your email. Those are nice looking pipes you showed, how do they smoke? Do they compare with your favorite British pipes?
billkay, where are you from? Disrespecting Americans about the size of their pipes, is the same thing as challenging the size of our dicks. There is a direct correlation between pipe size and dick size here in the US and that is why I only smoke Magnum sized pipes( I really only smoke group 4-5's but Magnum sounds better). Now your assertion that pipes back in your day ( 20's and 30's) were smaller than today, is totally unfounded. I see group 4-5's all over from the 60's and earlier. I own a few of these pipes so my statement in regards to pipe sizes is fact.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
billkay, you don't happen to play the banjo do you? lol
Damn, I thought I was old, you are goddamn Methuselah. Thanks for the info, group 4's are a great size for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You guys have never seen Deliverance?

https://www.google.com/search?q=banjo+player+from+deliverance&biw=1280&bih=595&tbm=isch&imgil=LHaINcuUk2r9vM%253A%253BhAQ90yOa0h9JUM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.snopes.com%25252Fmovies%25252Ffilms%25252Fdeliverance.asp&source=iu&pf=m&fir=LHaINcuUk2r9vM%253A%252ChAQ90yOa0h9JUM%252C_&usg=__PDfDdr5-2zOwKr4SLGEWWgNRumk%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiavZTO_OHLAhWH2B4KHUklBVMQyjcIJw&ei=e2b4VtqTK4exe8nKlJgF#imgrc=LHaINcuUk2r9vM%3A
It was a rank on you being from hillbilly land.

Status
Not open for further replies.