PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
When I leave work I ride my motorcycle home and the commute is one of the best parts of the day. My car driving colleagues don't get this, but it makes me smile. Just look at a dog with it's head out of a car window and you'll know how I feel :D
Now that after dinner bowl has become part of my evening. On workdays it's my first bowl of the day as I choose not to smoke at work. Even though there is a smoking area. The bustle and hustle of the ciggie smokers is far too intrusive to enjoy a bowl. Again my colleagues don't get this and can't differentiate between a pleasure and an addiction.
Just as well that Mrs oldreddog loves two wheels and the smell of pipe tobacco.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I like to wake up early so I can enjoy a bowl with my coffee and watch the sun rise. It's what my grandfather always used to do, God rest his soul. No better way to start the day in my opinion. You should give it a try, a nice premium tobacco with a nice premium coffee, it really hits the spot.
I also tried to combat the ciggie smokers before. I even bought one of those mini-cobs, so I didn't have loads of unsmoked tobacco in my pipe. I just couldn't rush it for the 5 minute smoke break. Like you, I find smoking my pipe to be pleasurable and not just feeding an addiction. So I get it early in the wee hours of the day, than an after dinner, than a night cap.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Hi Shayde very nice way to start your day, I have been tempted to have a morning pipe with my coffee, so thanks for the nudge. Plus one on the nightcap, very soothing and I have been sleeping better since I started piping.
Coincidence? I think not :)

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
Actually yesterday morning I found out I lost my job. Should have known it was coming when they just told me last week they'd just give me two days off in a row just cause.. got a call saying basically " Hrm it might be best if you just don't come back in on Monday, we'll mail you your last check and pay out your PTO, don't make a fuss"
First thing I did was grab my Grabow, headed to my porch and I smoked a couple bowls over the course of three hours, just kind of sitting there, watching my neighbors wake up and start their days. My mood after was surprisingly okay. Am I worried? yeah. Little pissed? Yeah. However it's alright, just going to let it be another step, and start hunting up some new work.
Without my morning pipe, I don't know where I'd have been..

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Tinkertank I doubt anything I could say would help. I'm just really sorry to hear about your situation. My thoughts are with you. Best wishes for a good job to you. Amen on the help the pipe brings.
Great thread gents. Red, Gigger and Shayde, great posts.
Each evening, I've come to say, "well, it's about pipe-thirty," and head for the front porch for quiet and a pipe. My sons always ask if they can come sit with me. They are 11 and 13. Of course I am always thrilled to say yes, and we just sit and talk. My oldest says almost every day something like, "I love it when you smoke your pipe. It just makes it feel like things are good." It is by far the best part of my day, and the wind down is a lovely release of tension.
Peace fellas,

Bill

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
It is what it is.
The pipe smoking with the sons on the porch, I loved that time with my grandad when he smoked his pipe just like that. I hope your sons grow into men who appreciate those memories. It already sounds like they are, good on ya'.
Thanks for the words, they are a help, along with the pipe. cheers.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Tinkertank, when I worked temp about 20 years ago, my record was being laid off three times in a week. Since then I have worked 15 years with the last two companies. Finished one job on Friday and started the next on Monday. Sorry for the loss of job.
Enjoy the rest and the smoke. Take some time to mourn the job loss and evaluate what you want to do. But get up and start the fight for the next job.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.