Let Down By McClelland Navy Cavendish

(35 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by lightmybriar
  • Latest reply from hawky454
  1. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am generally a Virginia and VaPer smoker, and I really love McClelland Virginas (Dark Star, St. James, Blackwoods, Christmas Cheer, all among my favorites!), and I was wanting something smooth and slightly rum-flavored without having an aromatic. So naturally, Navy Cavendish seemed like the route to go. I ordered the larger tin, and when it arrived, it even had a few years of age on it. When I lit it up, though, I was REALLY unimpressed. It was very flat and boring tasting. I figured it might just be me, so I of course made it a point to smoke several more bowls of it over a few weeks, and I hate to say it, but I think this is not only not what I expected, but not even nice to smoke. I've never experienced this from McClelland before.

Does anyone else share this view of this tobacco? Could it just be me somehow?

Also, being on the topic, I just read about Gawith and Hoggart Rum Flake, and it sounds to be more of what I was wanting. Does anyone have experience with both blends? Would you recommend one over the other?

Thank you!

Steven

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last time I smoked navy cav it was about 15yrs or older. That tin was very flavorful.
    Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy it both fresh and aged. But I like all McC Va's and VaPers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now I'm getting angry at my tongue haha! I can't figure out why this tobacco is boring me so much. You guys have inspired me to give it another shot and see if I can't make friends with it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. missionpipe

missionpipe

Login to Send PM

Just ordered small tin a few days ago. Really enjoy Black Frigate and Blockade Runner and wanted to give it try.

Question is: Blockade Runner Cake verses McClelland Navy Cavendish Flake. Any opinions?

Thanks

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have any experience with the other two you mention. I'll have to give them a try as well! Right now I've got my sights on G&H Rum Flake. Hopefully that will satisfy what I'm looking for!

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy McClelland's Navy Cavendish. I keep a few tins on hand, but it's one I really want to multiply my stock of. I wouldn't count it out just yet. Set it aside for a while, let it breathe in the open tin with the lid on for a couple weeks, try it in a different pipe.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would let it dry out more than you would think.

Also try several different pipes.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Preparing some now. "Once more into the breach, dear friends! Once more! Or close the wall up with our English blends!"

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Look...if you don't like it , you don't like it. Life is short, smoke what makes you happy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It could also be your tongue. Sometimes I get leather tongue and lose the taste.

I found those McClelland virginia's smoke great when super bone dry. Also try delayed gratification. Light it up and then leave it for a few hours or overnight.

Nice looking pipe by the way. Is that a Dunhill Cumberland line pipe? I almost bought one not too long ago.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just lit it and got it going. I'm setting it down now for a little. It's all a fun experiment.

Thanks! Yes it's a Cumberland, my birth year, 1985. I found it unsmoked for only $250. Very pleased! And it has a great blast on it. I had a 1980 for a while that was jut not a looker at all. Selling it helped me get this one.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice. That's my favorite Dunhill line.

I'm still looking for a birth year pipe myself. I would prefer if it's unsmoked but it's been hard to find so far. I saw one or two that had been previously smoked but I really didn't like any of them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What year are you looking for (if that isn't a rude question haha!)? If I spot a nice one for a good price, I'd be happy to let you know!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NC is one of my favorites, but it's definitely on the mild side of medium, so maybe it just doesn't have enough juice for you.

C&D After Hours Flake is pretty good, with more rum than NC for sure.

G&H Rum Flake does have some floral Lakeland essence, so watch out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like lots of McC blends, but Navy Cav was a letdown for me too. I love Virginias, so I know how subtle they can be, but my aged tin was just bland. I gave it away.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the Lakeland warning, Krizzose! And thanks everyone else for all the information and opinions!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a flag-waving fan of all McClelland Virginias, but anything that they use a flavored topping on... not so much.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Look...if you don't like it , you don't like it. Life is short, smoke what makes you happy.

What he said. I'm betting that if you let it dry right or find the right pipe or pack, it will taste better. I've tried a lot of tobaccos that others recommended that ended up not appealing to me. I end up using them to modify other blends I don't like for different reasons. Somehow they all can be steered into good smokes.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, I wouldn't force it upon myself, it just kind of shocked me that I absolutely love everything McClelland I've ever tried, so this one tasting "bland" caught me off guard and made me wonder if it wasn't something I was doing that was going wrong. I have a few more strategies to try. I have a good amount of it, so I'd rather it not go to waste!

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Navy Cavendish is pleasant to me, but a little on the boring side, I would agree.

GH Rum Flake is not really rummy, so forget that if rum is what you are after. Rum Flake carries about 40 different flavors, and it comes across a little perfumey - if you think the tins description (which if I remember right boasts of rum and almond or something) sounds kind of earthy and sweet, you'll be disappointed by the strangely floral arrangement (haha). It's good stuff, but not rummy in the way an American would expect given the name.

There's a good bit of rum in Gawith's Navy Flake, but also a good bit of latakia. Not for everyone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the guidance, Sasquatch. I'm after a quality Virginia with a rum flavor that is more "natural" tasting, rather than officially aromatic. I've never had anything with Latakia that has a flavor to it, but perhaps it's time to journey into that realm!

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really enjoy Black Frigate and Blockade Runner and wanted to give it try.

These are exactly what you are looking for. Most tobacco's with rum I have a hard time finding the rum but not those two.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent! The hunt is on!

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keep us posted on your results.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really love DNF. I tried it for the first time a couple of months ago and I've bought a whole bunch to cellar since then. I think the trick is to really dry it out before you smoke it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky, if you mean Dark Navy Flake when you typed DNF, then I wholeheartedly agree with you, it's great! My question was regarding a similar named but totally different tobacco, which is Navy Cavendish. Not too difficult to confuse the two!

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oops, you're absolutely right. My apologies... I'm delirious from sleep deprivation on account of my wife giving birth to a lil baby girl.... She's so wonderful and worth all the exhaustion, I just need to get used to not getting any sleep. :/ I have not tried the Navy Cavendish...

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha it's no problem! And congratulations on your new family addition! I've got three kids myself, so sleep exhaustion is a regular part of my life haha.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rotary Navy Flake is a fine tobacco if you're interested in the rum part of the navy flake. Good stuff!
    Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

I really liked my last tin of McClelland Navy Cavendish. That tin, however, was 12 years old when I opened it & aging can make such a difference with Virginias. I also really like G&H Rum Flake, but it's such a different animal from the McC Navy Cavendish that there's really no way I can fairly compare them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried this Cavendish blend and have never had a mostly Cav blend on my rotation since years ago when I had a light and dark Cav blend that was tasty but very mild. Mostly I think of Cav as being a condiment leaf, for building smoke volume and lending a subtle sweetness. If you don't like it as a blend, I'd try dusting it into other blends and see if it comes to life or brings them to life. Cavendish is kind of tricky but a worthy process for making condiment. From above posts, I guess it is also a pretty good smoke in itself in certain blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. missionpipe

missionpipe

Login to Send PM

Received my tin of McClelland Navy Cavendish and had a couple of bowls. I found it somewhat bland and enjoy Blockade Runner more. I'll cellar it and check back periodically as I'm sure my tastes, as well as the tobacco, will change with age.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha it's no problem! And congratulations on your new family addition! I've got three kids myself, so sleep exhaustion is a regular part of my life haha.

Much appreciated, bud. Still trying to adjust! Lol.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique, condorlover1