PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jar15a1

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
Ok, Im sure this thread has been discussed before but I'm too lazy to go looking for it. I know there are alot of fans out there that like the pipe that Lee Van Cleef smoked in For a Few Dollars More and would like to have one if it could be determined who made it. I even found a thread from a spaghetti western site where this is discussed as recently as last April. But if you are going to ask a pipe question, you need to come to the site with the pipe experts are. The gentlemen that started that thread never got an answer as to who made it and Im hoping someone here would know. I've put the link at the bottom for reference.
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php?topic=3194.0

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
All I know about it is, that the pipe was Lee Van Cleef's personal property.

Here's what I know about him...

Born January 9, 1925 – Died December 16, 1989

Made 89 movies.

And, I could pass for his twin brother if he looked like me. :D

jar15a1

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
Well thanks for the replies. I will keep looking around for pipes that are at least close to his. Somebody needs to start a line of pipes with replicas from movies with pipe smoking. Hmmmmm......

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This famous Pipe did belong to Lee Van Cleef. It is a WDC Meerschaum, but the bit is not amber. Likely, it is a replacement bit of amberoid plastic, which was very much in use for new Pipes and Pipe repairs at the time. Judging from the patina development, Lee had smoked the blazes out of it for years and knew how to use Beeswax for coloration and protection of the Block. I know of a lot of people who would like to know where this Pipe is now....

Reactions: TheWhale13

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
His biography is available on-line, $35 through McFarland Publishing. Might reference it in there, but I'm too cheap to buy it and find out, LOL.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Yavuz, it's probably too early to say, but how will these look after continued smoking? Will the design fade away or will it darken evenly? I've never had a meerschaum before so I wouldn't know what to expect.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the great information. I didn't know anything about African meerschaum before this thread so it is good to know. I was just curious about how the pipe will change and you answered my question 100%. I think you guys have made a really close replica and if I go for a Van Cleef it'll be yours!

david

Lurker
Sep 2, 2012
Hi Everyone,
This is my 1st post in this forum. Im a active member on another pipe smoking forum and saw this thread and I thought that I should chime in. When I 1st started my pipe smoking a year ago I saw that Altinok made a replica of the LVC pipe. So I ordered one right off the bat without very much any knowledge of meers or even pipe smoking.
Here is a picture of my LVC pipe the day that I received it.

IMG_2708.jpg

If you visit the Altinok website you will see that the LVC pipe has a grey pattern that goes all over the bown and stem. This is no were on my pipe.
This is my pipe now picture was taken 2 or 3 days ago

IMG_3182.jpg

I just wanted to let you guys know that if you want a LVC pipe that you should look for the Vienna Meerschaum pipes that pop up from time to time on ebay. You will see the exact pattern that is on the pipe in the movie

Here is a example

pipa-de-colectie-in-toc-marca-vienna-meerschaum-fotografii_rev009.jpg

leevancleefpipe3.jpg

Now i know the difference between african meer and turkish and i know that both color differently and that is ok with me. I know that my pipe will not be the same but i am still a bit mad that my pipe does not look like the one on their website.
Thanks
David

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I will order one sooner than later,and it will be from Storient.I trust the guy... :D

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
;After much back and forth debate with myself over my first new pipe, I have every intention of getting the LVC pipe for Christmas. Its just so damn handsome. Alot of us here have gotten to know Storient and Yavuz has been an excellent representative of his brand.
I do have a question Yavuz, does each pipe maker sign his signature to documentation/etc for the pipe they make? Namely the LVC pipe.
I would personally love to have something like that with my pipe.
Thanks,

Jason

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Just finished watching Death Rides a Horse on netflix and yes....I will own a Lee Van Cleef pipe one day. He was just too cool.

cezario

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I just bought my LVC/Storient pipe. When it arrives I'll comment how it smokes with G.L. Pease outstanding tobaccos....

Status
Not open for further replies.