PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
This past Saturday i met up with forum member and piping brother Jeremy, or Sailorjeremy as his handle is on the forums, at our local B&M store, Emerson's Cigars. Jeremy got back from deployment this month after his stint in Japan, and we finally got a chance to meet up face to face and smoke some bowls. Jeremy is an awesome guy and we had a great time over some bowls of some great tobacco. I gave him some stuff to try that he hadn't had before including some stonehaven, some aged penzance, klondike gold, as well as sending him home with a couple opened tins of BCDF and MB LatFlake. I got to try some tobacco that he got from a couple forum members on here including bald headed teacher and some 20 year old Ehrlich burley and VA mixture that docwatson gifted him. They were both excellent, especially that Ehrlich mixture, which was simply phenominal. Jeremy gave me a couple sample bags of each to take home and they shall surely be enjoyed soon. It is really cool to have met such great and generous people on this forum and to have had the opportunity to meet up with a couple of the members and establish an actual face to face friendship with them. I look forward to meeting up with more of you guys in the future at pipe shows or wherever. I want to thank the members here that contributed to Jeremy's stash with their generosity and for allowing me the chance to sample some great blends that i have never had before. Jeremy lives a few miles from me and right near the bars that my gf and i frequent, so i have no doubt that there will be plenty more meetings over beers and pipes in the future.
Jeremy and I are in the process of hopefully creating a pipe club here, tentatively named Hampton Roads Pipe Club, and maybe getting a sponsor or two for the club. I know all the guys at Emerson's and plan on trying to work something out with them to host our meetings there. Jeremy has already created a sweet logo for the club which i will see if he will post on here for you guys to check out. I will keep everyone updated on the club if it works out. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Cheers, and happy puffing!
-Corey
Here is a pic of Jeremy and I at Emerson's.

piping-600x450.jpg

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Sounds like a great meet-up! Welcome back Jeremy! I live in Suffolk, VA and would be interested in a Hampton Roads pipe club.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Here it is! If anyone else who runs pipe clubs has any input on getting sponsors and what not, please feel free provide some wisdom.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks guys and ericthered, we'd love for you to join us!
Tim, haha, yeah it is weird explaining to your gf that you are going up to the pipe and cigar store to meet up with a random guy you met on the internet. Gets a bit weird, but that's just the way i like it. My friends gave me shit about it too, but all in good fun. From the outside, it definitely could sound creepy and craigslist-y. :rofl:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Corey,
It's funny you say that. Forum member derfargin was in NJ on business and we met up, along with some of Morley's Pipe Club members at a local (for me) place I frequent. I told my wife "I am going to meet up with one of the guys from the pipe forums". She asks if I know him and I say no, I chat with him on the web, and I get this look like I'm crazy. I follow up with "we are going to smoke a few bowls, share tobacco, shoot the $hit and drink a few beers", and I get a weirder look, like, how cute is this girl that I am going to meet???? She was only teasing me but it is funny trying to explain how awesome the folks on this forum are and getting the chance to actually meet someone that isn't local is pretty cool.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I hear that Yaz!!
I told my S/O the same thing, and she said. "You're really going to meet someone you met on a internet forum?"
She gave me the skeptical look, not that she thought I was was going to meet a girl, but she just found it odd that I would take time to go meet someone I haven't actually had a conversation with.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Dan, yeah it never fails to get weird and awkward...for the other person or people that is, lol. I couldn't give two shits what anyone thinks and i get a twisted sense of humorous pleasure making people feel awkward and confused. My gf isn't surprised at all though after she's done busting my balls about it, as i make friends very easily anyways and am a very open and approachable person. I just hope she never finds out exactly which forum this actually is and figures quiet easily, based on my avatar picture of one of our dogs, which member is me and proceeds to read my posts. I would most likely be homeless, toothless, dog-less and ball-less once she found out all the money i've spent on pipes and tobacco. L-i-v-i-n on the e-d-g-e bro, livin' on the edge.
And yeah props to jeremy, he did a kick-ass job on the logo. Plus being as we live in a densely saturated military community near the ocean, it is very fitting to the area and its people. I would love to have an outlet and get away place to meet up for some of our pipe/cigar smoking military brothers and sisters.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Seems i have a thing for straight married Navy guys on random internet forums though, being as Jeremy and Phil (the other member i met up with at Emerson's a few months back, who is also an awesome dude) both fall in that category. I scared Phil off though and made him move to Florida after i requested he show up in uniform upon our next meeting. (Lol, he got transferred down there with his wife, who is also in the Navy).

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Good ol' Hampton Roads, I was down the street in VABeach at Dam Neck for A School in 2004. Glad y'all got to hook up and smoke, it is a good time getting to hang out with fellow pipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.