Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
About '05 when I first took up the pipe, some of the first tobaccos I grabbed on to were strong in Latakia, Lat Bombs as some call them. I was always on the lookout for English or Balkan blends folks who loved vitamin L recommended.
Over the last few months (after close to a year absence from anything tobacco related), I find my tastes morphing towards other types of blends. I've found a love for more subtle flavours like pure Virginias, or a very slight spiciness added by Perique. I'll put this to the fact that my sense of taste was significantly muted by a pack a day habit of cigs, basically I needed powerful flavours (like Latakia) to enjoy it at all. I now even enjoy some borderline aromatics like Erinmore Flake and PS Luxury Twist Flake and their slight fruit flavours, something I didn't sense previously.
Now, there are some blends I love that supposedly still contain Latakia, like BCF, but I just do not taste it "out front", I guess just a skillfully manufactured blend where it's there as part of the overall experience. If you look back at the pic I posted of my Vegas TAD, only one blend has Latakia, and that's Old Dublin, a blend that by reviews has a less than medium amount of that leaf. Maybe I'll like it, maybe it'll be just a blend for outdoors on a cool clear fall day, maybe it'll sit jarred for a few years.
So I ask, has anyone else found this progression of tastes?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I used to love Bombay Extra as an example. Now, I get more pleasure from blends like

Tenured Highlander when I want Latakia.

Guys talk about Latakia getting too muted with age. I patiently wait for that.

GLP Telegraph Hill is the spot on VaPer in my book.

Mike S.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Guys talk about Latakia getting too muted with age. I patiently wait for that.
WHich is what I'm hoping for with the Old Dublin.
As for VaPers, my favourites are Luxury Bullseye FLake, Luxury Navy FLake and Hal 'O The Wynd. I just bought my first tin of Escudo so that one might be there too.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
None of my likes have ever really gone away. I find that sometimes, I just don't have an appetite for a certain style for a little while, then it will come back. I guess my taste in tobaccos is on a sort of rotation, just like my pipes.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Cosmic, maybe none of my business, but do you, or have you ever, smoked cigarettes? If so, did it have any effect on changing your tastes in smoking a pipe?

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I used to favor English and Balkan blends and never got anything out of straight virginia's. Now, during the last couple months virginias, Vapers, and VaBurs have become some of my favorite smokes. I think it's got to do with developing cadence and a more refined pallette. For example I clearly remember things clicking recently and picking out hay and citrus notes for the first time. What a moment that was!
I still enjoy english blends where the latakia is just a minor player but I'm starting to lean more toward subtle blends.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yours is one variation of the stereotyped piper's journey, newfie - from aros to lat blends to Virginias. I keep both lat blends and Virginias in my rotation, although I really don't smoke the big lat bombs - I find them boring.

I'm a regular smoker of Old Dublin; I find it a lovely blend. I don't know about a "less than medium" amount of latakia - I guess it depends on how one defines "medium". Hope you like it. :puffy:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I guess my taste in tobaccos is on a sort of rotation
Same here, except... I was a a Latakia bomb guy for a year, Then moved into Virginias trying learn more of the ages tastes. To do so I had to move away from the strong flavors. As I began to enjoy the red and bright virginias my lakakia preferences changed. I know don't need much and really don't care for the stronger lat bombs as I once did. So my pallet has maybe moved into a mid-ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.