PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I know we already have a (quite good) flake thread going and I've gone through every post but couldn't find what I was looking for. Recommendations for flakes with latakia. Virginia's just don't do it for me as I find them a bit bland.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'll definitely echo scarborian's plugs for the Germain and the Pease. I'd add Germain's Royal Jersey Original Latakia Mixture (which is as close to Penzance as you can get without "Penzance" on the tin) and Esoterica's Penzance (my favorite blend).
"Virginia's just don't do it for me as I find them a bit bland."
"Blandness" tends to be a sign that a pipe smoker isn't smoking slowly enough. Obviously, I don't know if that's the case here or not. And what's "bland" to you might be "flavorful" for me, while your "flavorful" might be enough to make me cross-eyed. :) I've just found so much rich pleasure in straight VA and VA-based blends that I'd hate to see you miss out on something you might enjoy simply because you weren't taking quite the right approach. So if you haven't experimented with very slow draws and different packing methods, I'd encourage that.
Bob

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
My problem is that I like aeros and I like latakia blends. So smoking anything else just seems a bit lacking for me. But I also haven't smoked in nearly two months so there is that. I've tried a few VA blends but as I said, it just doesn't do if for me. I think it might be the 'hay' smell that puts me off.
edit:

I'm also only a year into my (infrequent) pipe smoking so I still have a bit to learn, though habits are starting to set in.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
rayje:
You mention in your Public Profile that you've had Frog Morton. Did you not like that? It sounds like exactly the kind of latakia-forward, aromatic-quality blend you might really enjoy.
You might also enjoy some of the European flavored/scented flakes. European blenders tend to favor African Virginias in their blends, and these tend to be darker in flavor than American varieties. I'd suggest Samuel Gawith's Perfection as a starting spot; it's lightly flavored with vanilla and has a similarity to Frog Morton on the Town, although it's not quite as refined as the FMotT, to my palate. And, of course, there are the so-called Lakeland blends, which are scented with tonquin.
Bob

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Well after you mentioned changing my technique I went and popped a tin of Davidoff's Flake Medallions. Didn't care for the smell and aside from lighting problems (don't think I've let it dry enough) it's okay. The perique is a different bite than I'm used to. Also, about halfway into the pipe it started to get a gurgle. This is also when I realized I have no idea where my churchwarden length pipe cleaners are. So I'll have to try again when I can find them.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Sam Gawith's Balkan Flake is a lovely Latakia/VA flake. Good stuff, might be toward what you're looking for.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
rayje:
A slight gurgle can often be handled by a light tamping, slow puffs, and a relight. If that doesn't work, then, yep, a quick run-through with a pipe cleaner is needed.
Bob

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo sam
1. Most Navy Flakes don't have Lat, but the SG NF does - very nice flavor.

2. Yup: C&D SHF is a typical American broken flake. This one is a Balkan and fairly middle of the road.

3. +1 on SG BF - did you notice how cool it smokes?
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.