Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I am surprised that no one has noticed that our brothers in Syria are being picked on by the government. Any word on what has happened to the fields in Latakia? I know there is not much Syrian latakia in the states but is there going to be less? :puffpipe:
nuts forgot to go to the box to post this....Sorry Kevin

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
My understanding of Latakia was that very little comes from Syria anymore. It's mostly Cyprian, from what I gather. Anyone have more info on this?
-Jason

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
That is mostly true. But, there are some tins that claim that they are using Syrian latakia. Apparently there is a difference in taste from Cyprian.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The situation in Syria is completely messed up. However, no Syrian Latakia tobacco has actually been produced in years. The government banned it because the trees the wood comes from to make the aromatic fires has become endangered.
Apparently, the Syrian government cares more about the trees than the people.
And, 99% of pipe smokers pronounce Latakia incorrectly.
We all say: la ta kia.
The correct pronunciation is: la tac ia

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Any blends that you find on the market today with Syrian Latakia is tobacco that has been in inventory from the past. Such as 3 Oaks Syrian, which will have a review going up today.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
JC; once again, I think MacBaren is also sitting on a stash of Syrian leaf; although to my palate, the MacBaren offering is somewhat more bold and brash than the McClellands stash (although still not nearly as bold as Cyprian).

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Yes, Mac Baren and McClelland both have large stashes of Syrian Latakia. Only the one blend from Mac Baren, which jcsnaps mentioned, Vintage Syrian, has it. Their other blends with Latakia have Cyprian.
A few years back, a large warehouse full of Syrian leaf that was for C&D and Pease blends burned to the ground, so they use Cyprian Latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.