PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With the advice of sablebrush52, I have been looking at Fasorteret pipes. I have a love for Preben Holm and Ben Wade freehands, and Frasorterets, unknown to me, were Holm seconds. In the last 10 seconds of the auction, I bid as low as allowed, and now have added this handsome fellow to the herd.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/261729541071?txnId=0

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mighty nice Danish freehand, from the mother church of the freehand, Denmark.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thank you very much! As stated, did not know Holm had seconds. Opens an entirely new PAD door. 8O

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
CE:
I was always kinda' sorta' under the impression Holm used the great Ben Wade brand as his outlet for burners that didn't make the cut under his same name label.
That he had a true seconds brand is news to me.
You wrote:
"Opens an entirely new PAD door."
I am so sorry, Chasingembers. As if any of us need yet another collecting door to walk through........
Let us know how that beauty smokes.
Fnord

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@fnord :rofl: When sablebrush52 first informed me of Frasorteret, I thought, "Oh,no!", but oh well, don't see as many of those as you do Ben Wades. As for the Danish Ben Wades, they were mostly made by people working for Preben based on his designs. Still looking for one of his private collection line, but the ones I have found seem a bit too classic shape for me. Really like the more natural look when they chase the grain.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Read the Ben Wade article at Piprdia, particularly the section, Ben Wade turns Danish
http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Wade
also,
http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Holm,_Preben

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yup, that part of the history I knew, the Frasorteret line was news to me though. Love a Danish freehand, and adds one more target for my radar! :mrgreen:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The other pipes to look for are those marked II S Handmade in Denmark, also from Preben Holm's workshop.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Congratulations on your pipe! If it smokes as well as mine you are in for a real treat! While these are seconds, there's nothing second about the quality of the briar in mine. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why it was a second until I noticed a couple of fills on the shank near the stem. Big deal. Great pipe and one of my desert island pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thank you! Remembered you mentioning them, and at that price, I could not say no!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
CM, for every door that he opens there are a few more that open with it.... Those, of course, open more doors and so on and so on.... Ironically, the more doors that are open to pipes the more doors close on your financial situation. You know how as arctic ice, as it melts, melts faster as there's less ice to reflect sunlight/heat back creating increased ocean temp and increased melting. This is analogous to pipe acquisitions. It's a runaway reaction that's very difficult to stop :D

Sable has a strong grasp on all aspects of pipes, but from what I've seen, can be both an angel and a devil on your shoulder ;)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You are preaching to the choir Nate. Been smoking and collecting them for almost 24 years now, and it just keeps getting worse! 8O

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable has a strong grasp on all aspects of pipes, but from what I've seen, can be both an angel and a devil on your shoulder.
True
You are preaching to the choir Nate. Been smoking and collecting them for almost 24 years now, and it just keeps getting worse!
Also true.
Face it. There is no cure. But consider this, it's still cheaper than collecting ex wives...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just came in today, and have removed the cake to inspect the bowl. A few cuts from what appears to be careless reaming, and the stem has a bit of oxidation. Really, nothing pipe mud and Barkeepers Friend can't fix. I would say not a bad pipe for $60. Compared to Holms and Wades, it has a very similar finish and feel. Looks to be a fine new addition to the herd.
Duane
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15293

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Pipemud is dry, and it worked great! Despite the pipe's size, it is very easily clenched, and is burning H&H Sweet Cask very well! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.