PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So as some of you know, I went on a quest to try and find this stuff to try it out. I even bought a Cob pipe to try it in. Turns out I really like it. As in, I REALLY like it. When I do the math on the cost of a box with 6 pouches, it's not as expensive as I was led to believe. (about $4.11 per oz). So I'd like to buy more of this stuff but am wondering how long the sealed pouches last given all the crap they put into CB (Poly Glycol and Humectant)? I've seen CBW in Tins and also in the 6 pack sealed pouches. I would think it would last pretty long in the sealed pouches but I remember a recent thread where someone opened one up and it was really dry and tasted awful (ok, no comments like "how would they know the difference, there is no taste", "how could you tell that awful taste from the normal CB awful taste"). :)

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I had an opened pouch that was left in the car all summer (6 months or so) and it was fine, ready to smoke and very tasty still. I believe the pouches have more PG than tins and therefore stay "fresh " longer.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Pouches are VERY common in the EU, that's how people prefer to get their pipe tobacco over there... They might have the same reaction your having if they contemplated buying in tin form... Go for it, they will not bite (unless you load your pipe wet).

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Zonomo,
My recommendation would be to order the Lane equivalents from one of our vendors. You will get a better price by the ounce and you can jar it with no worries. Also, no where near as much PG meaning a much drier and more enjoyable smoke.
I am not sure exactly which Lane Bulk is the same as CB White. IRRC CB Royal is the same as 1Q. I am sure someone can chime in with the exact match for CB White.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Captain Black was not a captain, nor was he black, nor did he make good tobacco. Question answered!
Maybe so but I'm sure a lot of people would like to have this much failure in a product they're trying to sell.....

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
Wait....CB can dry out? No no no no no......
BTW, the CBR blend ages quite well. I got some that was put away in 94 and its still tasty!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
My understanding that RLP is CBW with less PG and potentially better quality tobacco's.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Archeologists have found pouches of Captain Black buried in 2,000 year old tombs and the blend's heavy dose of humectants had kept it fresh for many centuries.
:clap:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It has the half-life of uranium 238.
"Maybe so but I'm sure a lot of people would like to have this much failure in a product they're trying to sell....."
Never equate popularity with quality.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I had some CBW that I got and it was sealed, when I opened it up and that was one hour after I paid for it, well it was dry dry dry.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"How would they know the difference, there is no taste; how could you tell that awful taste from the normal CB awful taste?"
Sorry, couldn't resist it - and you virtually invited it!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I smoked CBW as my only blend in the 80s & 90s. Sometimes PA. Yep. CBW won't dry put easily. I know its git a lot of chemicals in it, as compared to my C&D and McClelland mainstays, but I'm still faithful to the Captain after all these years. Just something about it. Easy to smoke. Always delivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.