PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I am so pleased to see one of very few 'pure' naturally finished clean straight grains (with a hand-cut vulcanite Cumberland mouthpiece) being made in England.

The English tradition of handmade straight grains seems to be a thing of the past. Hopefully 'The Tradition Continues'! :clap:
larrysson-straight-grain-2-600x400.jpg
larrysson-straight-grain-600x400.jpg
:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Fess up, Mr Barnes. That's one of your new collection of naturals we're all waiting to see completed?

Exquisite, whichever.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
That's one of your new collection of naturals we're all waiting to see completed?

No, not at all. I saw it and thought how fine this piece is.. and coming from England.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Wow, that's a nice bit of shape and grain matching. A good looking piece for sure.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Larryson is a wonderful carver. I own one of his wax drips and it's just a beautiful pipe. As I recall, he retired for a couple of years because he had developed problems in his hands from the work, but was able to recover and return to making pipes.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Larrysson is a wonderful carver

Yes Jesse I agree. Paul is a self-taught genius with exceptional attention to detail. His hand-cut vulcanite mouthpieces are the finest I have ever seen...way up there... and, when working in pipe stores in Germany in 1975-1977, and in the Frankfurt trade fairs from 1975-1989 I have seen many pieces from the best makers at that time, Bang, Garbe and so on.

First class.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Ken, you're making me blush (not really, but I do appreciate the kind words). Jay, all is well. I do look in on the forum frequently, but haven't posted as of late. Between work, pipe making, and playing bass, I haven't been spending much time online.

Status
Not open for further replies.