Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have been looking around on Google at this and have found Brigham makes a couple 'giant' pipes. I was wondering if anyone has smoked these ones

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=118287

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=121736
I really like my MM General (yes the one that fell in the toilet yesterday) b/c it has a nice big bowl. However I find that smoking from a cob irratates my throat and dries my mouth out no matter how slow I smoke it.

I would like a briar pipe like this or similar. I like to have nice long smokes after work. I usually smoke two maybe three bowls after work but I figure a large pipe will put 2-3 into one.
Edit to add some stuff
I also looked at Boswells Pipes. They are nice but I think they are out of my price range.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A large diameter pipe will increase the amount of smoke and flavor you get (and must keep generating) with each puff

because of the surface area engaged in burning. It's like an engine with a wide open throttle.
A narrower, but deeper chamber will burn much longer; but relights, when they are needed, can be more difficult.

You should be able to get smokes of about 45 minutes from a pipe of medium diameter and depth: say, ¾" x 1½".
IMO, that your pipe is a corncob is not related to, or the source of, your dry mouth and throat irritation.

It sounds like something is wanting in technique or tobacco selection. It could be your throat saying, "Not so much, please."

You might try smoking a more full bodied, flavorful, or stronger tobacco, so that you will be more thoroughly satisfied.

(You might be trying to suck-out more satisfaction than your current blend is capable of providing.)
...just speculating. :puffy:

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Once and while you can pick a Randy Wiley on Ebay. Randy usually makes large bowl pipes and the pipe engineering is very good. I bought a large Randy Wiley pot and I have really enjoyed his pipe. I currently search for another Wiley pipe on Ebay and Smokingpipes.com.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
@cortezattic I have smoked MacB Regular, Royal, Dunhill EMP, Dunhill Nightcap, FMOTT, FMC, 4noggins BHT in the cob and I still get a dry scratchy throat. I normally smoke Brigham piped and have never had that issue. Never. I'm not smoking fast or taking long hauls off the pipe. I smoke slow and the pipe never got real hot in my hand. I honestly think it is from the cob being so soft and easy to burn. I have smoked this cob about 15-20x already and everytime I get that irratated throat. I just think I can't smoke cob :(
And LOTPR, those pipes are too big! lol. I'm looking for one with a bowl larger than 3/4" dia. and more than 1.25-1.5" deep.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
that's how I smoke sam.

I do the same with taking in a lung full and breathing it out through my nose. Also forcing the air in your mouth out through your nose with your tongue is a good way to get full flavor of the smoke. I read it somewhere and if I remember where I saw it I would post it here.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I have some big pipes including Peterson House pipes. For price though I'd recommend Dr Grawbow Big Pipes. Their cheap and my two smoke great (I'm smoking one now). They aren't drilled the best (not to the very bottom of the bowl) but other then that and some fills (if that bothers you) no complaints. Peterson Captain Pete's from Cup O Joes have large bowls for less then $100, I have a few and like them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want a good, lower priced pipe with a big bowl, I recommend the Iwan Ries Exclusives bent brandy. It is at their

site, iwanries.com. Most of their pipes are made by Benton pipes, in Texas, I believe, but this one is stamped Italy,

and the one I received did not have the Iwan Ries name stamped on it. I think these large ones may be supplied,

although not stamped by, Savenelli. I think the current price is $36, but it is similar in smoking and appearance to

mid-level pipes. It might hold you at least until you find the big pipe of your choice. I think it has a larger bowl

than the Dr. Grabow Big Pipe, and doesn't have a filter.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
wow thanks guys!

I think I might give Boswell's a call monday before work and get an idea of prices for their pipes and how to go about aquiring one. If not I'm going to go with the 'giant' from Brigham. I'm partial to Brighams as that's all I've smoked and have never had an issue with them.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
@cavendish:

I own 6 Brighams, and when I bought the Giant/Monster and got it, I was floored at how big it was compared to my other Brighams. I compared my Chinook #9 (straight Billiard) to my Monster and it was dwarfed by it. It is my second largest pipe in my collection next to my Ardor and we all know how big those get. It is a massive smoke, and in comparison, the Brigham Giant was about 2.5 bowlfulls compared to my other Brighams. The reason I love it is because it provides a great long smoke, not so big that it becomes a problem on relights (just big enough that I can relight all the way down to the bottom), and of course, the filters. because of that, I love having the ability to have a very quick smoke or a long one. The Giant is a great purchase... Is it worth $169 vs. $109 for their smaller versions? IMHO it is.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
It is a massive smoke, and in comparison, the Brigham Giant was about 2.5 bowlfulls compared to my other Brighams. The reason I love it is because it provides a great long smoke, not so big that it becomes a problem on relights (just big enough that I can relight all the way down to the bottom), and of course, the filters. because of that, I love having the ability to have a very quick smoke or a long one. The Giant is a great purchase... Is it worth $169 vs. $109 for their smaller versions? IMHO it is.
Exactly what was going through my mind. I think this is going to be my birthday pipe this year. My favorite part of the pipe is after first 1/3 or almost half. That's when I find the flavors really start to come out of the tobacco. I have 6 Brighams as well (see my profile for the pic) and I love them all!
I have read some good reviews about that pipe and find myself leaning towards that as my pick. The only thing left to struggle with is which finish I want lol.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I had a Charatan blasted billiard that was immense!!! It was hard to visualize the size of it without any frame of reference. I showed it to a my pipe smoking buddy and he howled with laughter that it was a "Shaq" pipe after the basketball player. I said Paul Bunyan would smoke this thing. I sent it back and got my money back fortunately. I have plenty of big pipes that are more normal size and result in a nice hour+ long smoke. If I want longer I load up two pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.